May 15, 2014, 7:24 PM EST
The New York Rangers trip to Montreal for Games 1 and 2 of the Eastern Conference Final won’t just be for the games, but to support a teammate as well.
“Marty’s [mother’s] funeral was supposed to be Saturday. We couldn’t move the time of the game, so Marty being who he is was able to move the funeral to Sunday,” Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said. “So Sunday, as a team, we’ll be able to attend his mother’s funeral.”
St. Louis’ mother died of a heart attack a week ago, a day before Game 5 of the Rangers’ series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. St. Louis played in Game 5 and his appearance there served to be motivation for the Rangers to win. He then went on to score the first goal in Game 6 on Mother’s Day and helped lead them to a 3-1 victory.
There’s no doubt the high emotions St. Louis has been riding since last week will carry on playing in his home town against the Habs.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)