May 15, 2014, 7:24 PM EST
The New York Rangers trip to Montreal for Games 1 and 2 of the Eastern Conference Final won’t just be for the games, but to support a teammate as well.
“Marty’s [mother's] funeral was supposed to be Saturday. We couldn’t move the time of the game, so Marty being who he is was able to move the funeral to Sunday,” Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said. “So Sunday, as a team, we’ll be able to attend his mother’s funeral.”
St. Louis’ mother died of a heart attack a week ago, a day before Game 5 of the Rangers’ series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. St. Louis played in Game 5 and his appearance there served to be motivation for the Rangers to win. He then went on to score the first goal in Game 6 on Mother’s Day and helped lead them to a 3-1 victory.
There’s no doubt the high emotions St. Louis has been riding since last week will carry on playing in his home town against the Habs.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 84
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (84)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)