May 15, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
The New York Rangers trip to Montreal for Games 1 and 2 of the Eastern Conference Final won’t just be for the games, but to support a teammate as well.
“Marty’s [mother’s] funeral was supposed to be Saturday. We couldn’t move the time of the game, so Marty being who he is was able to move the funeral to Sunday,” Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said. “So Sunday, as a team, we’ll be able to attend his mother’s funeral.”
St. Louis’ mother died of a heart attack a week ago, a day before Game 5 of the Rangers’ series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. St. Louis played in Game 5 and his appearance there served to be motivation for the Rangers to win. He then went on to score the first goal in Game 6 on Mother’s Day and helped lead them to a 3-1 victory.
There’s no doubt the high emotions St. Louis has been riding since last week will carry on playing in his home town against the Habs.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 62
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 27
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15