May 15, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
The New York Rangers trip to Montreal for Games 1 and 2 of the Eastern Conference Final won’t just be for the games, but to support a teammate as well.
“Marty’s [mother’s] funeral was supposed to be Saturday. We couldn’t move the time of the game, so Marty being who he is was able to move the funeral to Sunday,” Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said. “So Sunday, as a team, we’ll be able to attend his mother’s funeral.”
St. Louis’ mother died of a heart attack a week ago, a day before Game 5 of the Rangers’ series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. St. Louis played in Game 5 and his appearance there served to be motivation for the Rangers to win. He then went on to score the first goal in Game 6 on Mother’s Day and helped lead them to a 3-1 victory.
There’s no doubt the high emotions St. Louis has been riding since last week will carry on playing in his home town against the Habs.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)