May 15, 2014, 7:24 PM EDT
The New York Rangers trip to Montreal for Games 1 and 2 of the Eastern Conference Final won’t just be for the games, but to support a teammate as well.
“Marty’s [mother’s] funeral was supposed to be Saturday. We couldn’t move the time of the game, so Marty being who he is was able to move the funeral to Sunday,” Rangers coach Alain Vigneault said. “So Sunday, as a team, we’ll be able to attend his mother’s funeral.”
St. Louis’ mother died of a heart attack a week ago, a day before Game 5 of the Rangers’ series against the Pittsburgh Penguins. St. Louis played in Game 5 and his appearance there served to be motivation for the Rangers to win. He then went on to score the first goal in Game 6 on Mother’s Day and helped lead them to a 3-1 victory.
There’s no doubt the high emotions St. Louis has been riding since last week will carry on playing in his home town against the Habs.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)