May 15, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
The final Battle of California in these Stanley Cup playoffs will have one, final clash.
The L.A. Kings can make it back to the Western Conference Final for a third consecutive time, after they forced a seventh and decisive game in their second-round series with the Anaheim Ducks on Wednesday. The Kings, needing a win to extend the series, held on, especially in the final two minutes, to defeat Anaheim by a final score of 2-1.
The Kings were down 3-0 in their opening round series to San Jose, came back to win. Again, they found themselves facing elimination after losing three consecutive games to the Ducks, but found a way to push this series to the limit.
Trevor Lewis scored the winner on a wrist shot that somehow beat John Gibson in the second period. As great as the 20-year-old Anaheim goalie has been since coming into this series in Game 4, this was one he’d probably like to have back. The shot somehow found room between his legs and rolled over the goal line, giving L.A. a two-goal lead at the time.
Kyle Palmieri got one back for the Ducks late in the second period, but Jonathan Quick was unbeatable in the third period, especially when it got frantic around his net with Anaheim pressing for the equalizer.
The Ducks also couldn’t take advantage of a late third-period power play. Home ice advantage has been a peculiar element in this series.
The road team won each of the first four games in this series, before the Ducks took Game 5 in their building and the Kings took Game 6 at the Staples Center.
May 3, 2015, 11:42 PM EDT
There are three contests scheduled for Sunday.
May 3, 2015, 11:36 PM EDT
He seemed initially dazed, but stayed in the game.
May 3, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Chicago now has a 2-0 series lead.
May 3, 2015, 10:27 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk had some bad luck on this one.
May 3, 2015, 9:58 PM EDT
“He tries to play God. He tries to control the game and he did that tonight.”
May 3, 2015, 9:14 PM EDT
Prust and Bishop have a history.
May 3, 2015, 8:52 PM EDT
The series will now return to Tampa Bay where the Lightning were 32-8-1 in the regular season.
May 3, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT
This might lead to Jonathan Drouin playing in Game 3.
May 3, 2015, 7:38 PM EDT
How far can the Lightning go if he gets hot?
May 3, 2015, 7:14 PM EDT
Valtteri Filppula snuck one by Carey Price.
May 3, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
At one point 14 squads were believed to be interested in his services.
May 3, 2015, 6:19 PM EDT
It’s the first time he’s out of the lineup since the start of the 2014-15 campaign.
May 3, 2015, 5:46 PM EDT
Exactly when that will be remains to be seen.
May 3, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
It’s rarely easy for young stars.
May 3, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
He’s working nicely with Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry.
May 3, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Both were at least some risk of missing Game 2.
May 3, 2015, 1:50 PM EDT
Still zero goals and just three assists for the star sniper.
May 3, 2015, 12:46 PM EDT
Blackhawks fans probably remember him.
May 3, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
Brandon Saad: “We have to regroup, refocus and get the job done.”
May 3, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
It’s unclear if this is injury-related.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 10
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 22
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)