May 15, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Philadelphia’s campaign has long since ended, but some of the Flyers players still have a long road ahead of them as they recover from major injuries.
Steve Downie is a prime example of that as he underwent ear surgery on Wednesday, per the Flyers’ website. The procedure was to address a hearing loss issue and is the second ear operation he’s had since the Flyers were eliminated from the playoffs.
Downie wasn’t healthy enough to participate in the playoffs and was limited to 62 games in the regular season due in part to a concussion. Making things more complicated for him is the fact that he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
Nicklas Grossman doesn’t have that concern as he still has two seasons remaining on his four-year, $18 million contract. The 29-year-old defenseman underwent ankle surgery, but he’s expected to begin his rehabilitation this week. That process is expected to take six-to-eight weeks, so he should be fine for the start of the 2014-15 campaign.
Grossman had a goal and 14 points in 78 regular season games. He also led the team with 174 blocked shots.
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 8
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 27
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)