May 15, 2014, 9:50 AM EST
Philadelphia’s campaign has long since ended, but some of the Flyers players still have a long road ahead of them as they recover from major injuries.
Steve Downie is a prime example of that as he underwent ear surgery on Wednesday, per the Flyers’ website. The procedure was to address a hearing loss issue and is the second ear operation he’s had since the Flyers were eliminated from the playoffs.
Downie wasn’t healthy enough to participate in the playoffs and was limited to 62 games in the regular season due in part to a concussion. Making things more complicated for him is the fact that he’s scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
Nicklas Grossman doesn’t have that concern as he still has two seasons remaining on his four-year, $18 million contract. The 29-year-old defenseman underwent ankle surgery, but he’s expected to begin his rehabilitation this week. That process is expected to take six-to-eight weeks, so he should be fine for the start of the 2014-15 campaign.
Grossman had a goal and 14 points in 78 regular season games. He also led the team with 174 blocked shots.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 8
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)