May 15, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Pittsburgh sophomore Beau Bennett missed 61 games this year with a wrist injury that never fully healed and, on Thursday, acknowledged the ailment rendered him ineffective in the Pens’ second-round loss to New York.
“I don’t want to make any excuses,” he said, per NHL.com. “The wrist thing, it is what it is. I tried to play as hard as I could and the Ranger games, I was useless out there, to be honest.
“I was just trying to get the puck deep. I couldn’t make plays, couldn’t push on guys.'”
Bennett, the 20th overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, has shown flashes of good scoring ability during his first two years in the league (21 points in 47 games), and Pittsburgh certainly could’ve used his offense against the Rangers. The Pens finished series by scoring just three goals on Henrik Lundqvist in the final three games and only 14 goals over the course of the full seven.
Bennett finished with no goals and one assist against the Blueshirts.
As for surgery, Bennett said he’ll remain in Pittsburgh to undergo the procedure, then head back to his native California. He added he’ll likely return to Pittsburgh earlier than normal to rehab the injury.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)