May 14, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
The officiating crew for tonight’s huge Game 7 at TD Garden will be comprised of referees Dave Jackson and Dan O’Rourke, along with linesmen Shane Heyer and Brad Kovachik.
Some notes about the zebras…
— This is the second game of the series for Jackson and O’Rourke, having previously called Game 2, a 5-3 Bruins win. The game was a testy affair which saw three unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, one for abusive language (from the B’s bench) and an opening period that saw both teams combine for eight minors.
Bruins head coach Claude Julien wasn’t thrilled with how the game was called, per the Boston Globe:
But it was also very rare to see Julien, typically the picture of reserve, get all huffed up during a game, to the point he was slapped with that minor penalty. The Habs had just moved ahead, 2-1, on the first of two Thomas Vanek strikes, the first of his two power-play strikes, and Julien grew a little too pointed with the referees (Dave Jackson and Dan O’Rourke).
Penalty, two minutes: uncoachmanlike conduct.
“The referee . . . ” explained Julien, not naming which referee, “ . . . I kind of told him I didn’t agree with his calls.”
— Jackson and O’Rourke have worked one Game 7 already this postseason (L.A.’s 5-1 win over San Jose). That one was a relatively muted affair; there were no penalties called in the first period and just nine all game, four of which were hooking calls.
— O’Rourke was one of four referees chosen to call the 2012 Stanley Cup Final between Los Angeles and New Jersey; Jackson is one of the league’s most veteran officials, having broke in during the 1990-91 season and calling his first playoff game in ’99. Jackson was also chosen to officiate games for the Winter Olympics in Sochi.
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 3
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)