May 14, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
Nathan Horton‘s goal won it in overtime, but the last time the Bruins and Canadiens played a Game 7, in the first round of the 2011 playoffs, had so much more than one big moment.
In case you’d forgotten, the Bruins jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead, only for the Canadiens to come back with two straight of their own, the tying tally on a shorthanded breakaway by Tomas Plekanec. And remember, this was a Boston team that was less than a year removed from choking on a 3-0 series lead versus the Flyers (and a 3-0 lead at home in Game 7). It was also a team that couldn’t score on the power play, so the fact Plekanec’s came shorthanded was a double whammy in a way.
The Bruins regained the lead halfway through the third, only to give it up again with less than two minutes remaining, on a rocket by P.K. Subban no less.
Horton’s winner came on a point shot at 5:43 of overtime, and the Bruins went on to win their first Stanley Cup since 1972, getting their revenge by sweeping the Flyers in the second round before beating Tampa Bay and Vancouver in two more series that went the distance.
Bit of a magical run, you might say.
“For us, it’s nice to reward our fans with this because they’ve been punished enough,” said Bruins coach Claude Julien after the Montreal series.
And Bruins fans have been rewarded plenty more since.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)