May 14, 2014, 4:36 PM EST
Nathan Horton‘s goal won it in overtime, but the last time the Bruins and Canadiens played a Game 7, in the first round of the 2011 playoffs, had so much more than one big moment.
In case you’d forgotten, the Bruins jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead, only for the Canadiens to come back with two straight of their own, the tying tally on a shorthanded breakaway by Tomas Plekanec. And remember, this was a Boston team that was less than a year removed from choking on a 3-0 series lead versus the Flyers (and a 3-0 lead at home in Game 7). It was also a team that couldn’t score on the power play, so the fact Plekanec’s came shorthanded was a double whammy in a way.
The Bruins regained the lead halfway through the third, only to give it up again with less than two minutes remaining, on a rocket by P.K. Subban no less.
Horton’s winner came on a point shot at 5:43 of overtime, and the Bruins went on to win their first Stanley Cup since 1972, getting their revenge by sweeping the Flyers in the second round before beating Tampa Bay and Vancouver in two more series that went the distance.
Bit of a magical run, you might say.
“For us, it’s nice to reward our fans with this because they’ve been punished enough,” said Bruins coach Claude Julien after the Montreal series.
And Bruins fans have been rewarded plenty more since.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 8
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 5
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)