May 14, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
Nathan Horton‘s goal won it in overtime, but the last time the Bruins and Canadiens played a Game 7, in the first round of the 2011 playoffs, had so much more than one big moment.
In case you’d forgotten, the Bruins jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead, only for the Canadiens to come back with two straight of their own, the tying tally on a shorthanded breakaway by Tomas Plekanec. And remember, this was a Boston team that was less than a year removed from choking on a 3-0 series lead versus the Flyers (and a 3-0 lead at home in Game 7). It was also a team that couldn’t score on the power play, so the fact Plekanec’s came shorthanded was a double whammy in a way.
The Bruins regained the lead halfway through the third, only to give it up again with less than two minutes remaining, on a rocket by P.K. Subban no less.
Horton’s winner came on a point shot at 5:43 of overtime, and the Bruins went on to win their first Stanley Cup since 1972, getting their revenge by sweeping the Flyers in the second round before beating Tampa Bay and Vancouver in two more series that went the distance.
Bit of a magical run, you might say.
“For us, it’s nice to reward our fans with this because they’ve been punished enough,” said Bruins coach Claude Julien after the Montreal series.
And Bruins fans have been rewarded plenty more since.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)