May 14, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT
Nathan Horton‘s goal won it in overtime, but the last time the Bruins and Canadiens played a Game 7, in the first round of the 2011 playoffs, had so much more than one big moment.
In case you’d forgotten, the Bruins jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead, only for the Canadiens to come back with two straight of their own, the tying tally on a shorthanded breakaway by Tomas Plekanec. And remember, this was a Boston team that was less than a year removed from choking on a 3-0 series lead versus the Flyers (and a 3-0 lead at home in Game 7). It was also a team that couldn’t score on the power play, so the fact Plekanec’s came shorthanded was a double whammy in a way.
The Bruins regained the lead halfway through the third, only to give it up again with less than two minutes remaining, on a rocket by P.K. Subban no less.
Horton’s winner came on a point shot at 5:43 of overtime, and the Bruins went on to win their first Stanley Cup since 1972, getting their revenge by sweeping the Flyers in the second round before beating Tampa Bay and Vancouver in two more series that went the distance.
Bit of a magical run, you might say.
“For us, it’s nice to reward our fans with this because they’ve been punished enough,” said Bruins coach Claude Julien after the Montreal series.
And Bruins fans have been rewarded plenty more since.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 9
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 29
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)