May 14, 2014, 12:21 AM EDT
During a post-game interview, Patrick Kane made the understatement that the Chicago Blackhawks were “probably fortunate” to win Game 6 against the Minnesota Wild 2-1 in overtime, ending the series in six games.
If the last couple games are any indication, the Blackhawks are absolutely fortunate that they employ Kane and Jonathan Toews.
The Blackhawks are on a ludicrous run (14-0) in series that have been tied 2-2 lately, but this one ranks up there in their robberies. Toews powered Chicago to a tough Game 5 win while Kane helped his team steal tonight’s game despite Minnesota carrying a significant amount of the play.
Simply put, there aren’t many players who could score the kind of goal Kane managed to win this game and end this series, let alone doing so in a high-pressure situation like this. The Blackhawks carry an almost unfair advantage in these situations; they have Toews’ mixture of grit and talent, Kane’s creativity and guys you can’t forget like Marian Hossa, Patrick Sharp, Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook.
You also cannot forget the work of Corey Crawford, especially on a night in which he made 34 out of 35 saves.
Actually, both goalies were brilliant at times on Tuesday, as Ilya Bryzgalov looked impressive at times in stopping 25 out of 27 shots. It’s easiest to summarize the high points of their nights in a clip that includes strong work for both netminders:
The Blackhawks push their bid for back-to-back champions to the Western Conference finals while the Wild fall to Chicago for the second year in a row. Let this be clear, though: Minnesota obviously made some huge steps toward making this a rivalry instead of merely a recurring playoff matchup.
For now, Chicago can enjoy the perks of rolling out Kane and Toews, however.
Apr 28, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
Nothing like a little competition to get things done.
Apr 28, 2015, 2:16 PM EDT
Isles defenseman missed the entire opening-round series loss to Washington.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT
Kicks off on Thursday with the Rangers taking on the Caps, and the Flames facing the Ducks.
Apr 28, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
Jamie Benn’s having two of ’em!
Apr 28, 2015, 1:09 PM EDT
“I feel like I’ve let people down.”
Apr 28, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT
Was dismissed by the Flyers 11 days ago.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
“It wasn’t a perfect fit, to be honest.”
Apr 28, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
Should be an interesting offseason in Pittsburgh.
Apr 28, 2015, 11:29 AM EDT
Though the former will be on the limp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT
Both expected to be ready for training camp.
Apr 28, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
Occurred late in the second period on Monday night.
Apr 28, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT
Both are unrestricted free agents this summer.
Apr 28, 2015, 8:07 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Apr 28, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
It’s also tough to say what happens next.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
Barry Trotz says he has the joy of a kid and the maturity of a man.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:33 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 10:17 PM EDT
Washington shuts it down, big time.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:55 PM EDT
Some great individual performances propel Tampa Bay.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:36 PM EDT
Game 7 is one of those “let them play” games.
Apr 27, 2015, 9:02 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)