May 14, 2014, 12:21 AM EDT
During a post-game interview, Patrick Kane made the understatement that the Chicago Blackhawks were “probably fortunate” to win Game 6 against the Minnesota Wild 2-1 in overtime, ending the series in six games.
If the last couple games are any indication, the Blackhawks are absolutely fortunate that they employ Kane and Jonathan Toews.
The Blackhawks are on a ludicrous run (14-0) in series that have been tied 2-2 lately, but this one ranks up there in their robberies. Toews powered Chicago to a tough Game 5 win while Kane helped his team steal tonight’s game despite Minnesota carrying a significant amount of the play.
Simply put, there aren’t many players who could score the kind of goal Kane managed to win this game and end this series, let alone doing so in a high-pressure situation like this. The Blackhawks carry an almost unfair advantage in these situations; they have Toews’ mixture of grit and talent, Kane’s creativity and guys you can’t forget like Marian Hossa, Patrick Sharp, Duncan Keith and Brent Seabrook.
You also cannot forget the work of Corey Crawford, especially on a night in which he made 34 out of 35 saves.
Actually, both goalies were brilliant at times on Tuesday, as Ilya Bryzgalov looked impressive at times in stopping 25 out of 27 shots. It’s easiest to summarize the high points of their nights in a clip that includes strong work for both netminders:
The Blackhawks push their bid for back-to-back champions to the Western Conference finals while the Wild fall to Chicago for the second year in a row. Let this be clear, though: Minnesota obviously made some huge steps toward making this a rivalry instead of merely a recurring playoff matchup.
For now, Chicago can enjoy the perks of rolling out Kane and Toews, however.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
It blows the Kings goaltender’s mind that he’s not talked about more, so let’s discuss him.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He used to have that role with the Calgary Flames.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
They signed him to a one-year deal while fellow breakout rookie Mark Stone got a three-year contract.
Aug 4, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
Jim Benning follows through after calling him a “foundation piece.”
Aug 4, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Assuming of course Bill Foley succeeds in his attempt to bring the NHL to Sin City.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
Where should we set the bar post-Babcock?
Aug 4, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
That didn’t work out for them.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
Yes, it’s the inevitable, perennial Red Wings question.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
MLBAM will handle NHL.com, Center Ice, Game Center Live and the NHL Network in 2016.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Can Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek get it done, collectively?
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Adding a wealth of experience.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
The skilled Swede may or may not be ready to start the season.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
He’s already made a positive impression on Jeff Blashill.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)