May 14, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
They weren’t as big as the Boston Bruins. They obviously didn’t finish as high in the regular season standings as the Boston Bruins. But the Montreal Canadiens are off to the Eastern Conference Final.
The Habs defeated the Bruins 3-1 on Wednesday to take this thrilling, heated and at times controversial series in seven games. It was a resilient effort from the Canadiens, who were going up against the 2014 Presidents’ Trophy winners as the NHL’s top team in the regular season.
“We just beat the best team in the league,” said Canadiens’ coach Michel Therrien, as per Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe.
The Eastern final between the Canadiens and New York Rangers begins Saturday, with Game 1 in Montreal.
“I feel sorry for any team that has to come into our building and our city,” Subban added.
This series between two long-time rivals – from their Original Six days, of course – lived up to all the hype. It was hard fought. It was dirty, nasty at times. We all remember when Shawn Thornton squirted Subban with the water bottle as the Bruins’ enforcer sat on the bench in Game 5.
While it resulted in a fine, it seems the Canadiens used occurrences like that as motivation.
Jun 3, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
It may be that co-owner Ron Burkle’s situation hasn’t changed at all.
Jun 3, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
But it isn’t going anywhere until at least next year.
Jun 3, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
“I don’t know where these stories come from, but they’re not true.”
Jun 3, 2015, 6:40 PM EDT
Should be an electric start.
Jun 3, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
Super Mario with a super surprise?
Jun 3, 2015, 5:52 PM EDT
Completing the succession plan.
Jun 3, 2015, 5:37 PM EDT
“There is absolutely no truth to speculation that any NHL franchise is currently considering relocation.”
Jun 3, 2015, 4:50 PM EDT
He’s a 21-year-old goalie prospect.
Jun 3, 2015, 3:34 PM EDT
The dude from “The Daily Show” and the guy from “American Idol.”
Jun 3, 2015, 1:58 PM EDT
But he won’t play tonight.
Jun 3, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Unless Joel Quenneville goes to the line blender…
Jun 3, 2015, 12:42 PM EDT
Ryan Callahan has only scored once in the playoffs.
Jun 3, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
Rahm Emanuel doesn’t care for Tampa Bay’s controversial ticket policy.
Jun 3, 2015, 11:36 AM EDT
Veteran has spent the last four years with the Arizona organization.
Jun 3, 2015, 11:18 AM EDT
Coin’s been good this postseason. Real good. But will it coin up on the big stage?
Jun 3, 2015, 11:05 AM EDT
Jun 3, 2015, 10:50 AM EDT
Anonymous donor has also been discharged and “is doing extremely well.”
Jun 3, 2015, 10:36 AM EDT
Jacob Markstrom continues to shine in the AHL.
Jun 3, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
He felt Anaheim’s structure “went right out the window” towards the end of the Western Conference Final.
Jun 3, 2015, 9:01 AM EDT
He wasn’t talking about the first overall selection.
- Bettman insists Coyotes and Panthers won’t relocate 1
- WATCH LIVE: Game 1 of Stanley Cup Final – Blackhawks at Lightning 0
- Report: Penguins owners (especially Lemieux) ponder sale of ‘some or all’ of franchise 13
- Report: Red Wings will name Blashill as head coach next week 1
- Kane, Toews may have toughest assignment yet in Hedman, Stralman 16
- Chicago mayor rips Lightning for being ‘afraid’ to sell tickets to Blackhawks fans 72
- PHT’s Stanley Cup Final picks, once again featuring The Coin 22
- Habs sign Petry to a six-year, $33 million extension 23
- ‘Home-grown talent’ a staple of Blackhawks and Lightning 7
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? 77
- ‘Hawks rise to occasion in Game 7, head to SCF for third time in six years (95)
- Poll: Should the Ducks fire Boudreau? (87)
- A holdover from the ‘dark days,’ does Sharp have a future in Chicago? (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- Is it fair to hold cap teams to old dynasty standards? (74)