May 14, 2014, 10:35 PM EDT
They weren’t as big as the Boston Bruins. They obviously didn’t finish as high in the regular season standings as the Boston Bruins. But the Montreal Canadiens are off to the Eastern Conference Final.
The Habs defeated the Bruins 3-1 on Wednesday to take this thrilling, heated and at times controversial series in seven games. It was a resilient effort from the Canadiens, who were going up against the 2014 Presidents’ Trophy winners as the NHL’s top team in the regular season.
“We just beat the best team in the league,” said Canadiens’ coach Michel Therrien, as per Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe.
The Eastern final between the Canadiens and New York Rangers begins Saturday, with Game 1 in Montreal.
“I feel sorry for any team that has to come into our building and our city,” Subban added.
This series between two long-time rivals – from their Original Six days, of course – lived up to all the hype. It was hard fought. It was dirty, nasty at times. We all remember when Shawn Thornton squirted Subban with the water bottle as the Bruins’ enforcer sat on the bench in Game 5.
While it resulted in a fine, it seems the Canadiens used occurrences like that as motivation.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)