Report: Pens ownership wants Bylsma fired; maybe Shero, too

May 14, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT

danbylsmagetty Getty Images

Penguins ownership favors firing coach Dan Bylsma, according to a report in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, which cites multiple sources.

And apparently ownership isn’t too happy with general manager Ray Shero, either:

No decision had been made as of Wednesday morning, but ownership was contemplating the firing of Shero along with coach Dan Bylsma, the sources said.

Ownership is not satisfied with the direction of the franchise and feels Shero specifically tethered himself to Bylsma, who he signed to a two-year extension after the Penguins were swept from the Eastern Conference final last June, the sources said.

Ownership believed Bylsma lost the dressing room this season, specifically the support of franchise centers Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, the sources said.

The above report (there’s lots more in it, so definitely click on the link) comes not long after a tweet, from ESPN’s John Buccigross, that suggested discord in the Pens’ room:

Taking everything into account, it would be a real surprise if Bylsma were back next season. The biggest question now might be the future of Shero, a.k.a. the NHL’s reigning GM of the year.

Related: Now is the time to explore trading Letang

119 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. kodyknight2821 - May 14, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Keep Shero.. Bye-Bye Bylsma.

• johninpa - May 14, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Or did Bylsma do the best with what Shero gave him – limited defense, no tough guys to protect your stars, etc. It’s going to be an interesting off season.

• kodyknight2821 - May 14, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I agree. Shero has not done so well with drafting winger to develop excluding Beau Bennett. Maybe a big change is what Pittsburgh needs.

• lbeezyse - May 14, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Or are the Pens in this situation if the NHL’s Savior actually shows up to play in the playoffs?

• hockey412 - May 14, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Not true – Shero ALWAYS gave Bylsma a tough guy (at least one) – Bylsma never brought them out of the minors. Never wanted them up there. Last time he did was last year playoff series vs. OTT.

• johninpa - May 14, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I think it’s tough for the “NHL Savior” to show up when he getting cross checked in the head and neck, and we don’t have a tough guy to dish out some punishment.

I’m not aware of a tough guy in the minors – who are you referring to?

• killhowe - May 14, 2014 at 4:58 PM

In my personal opinion, it comes down to what Shero has given away. Chicago adds veteran depth at the deadline but they don’t trade away key assets. Chicago always has young guys eager to crack the roster, sure some walk away in Free Agency but they retain draft picks and high end prospects. Pittsburgh is always willing to part ways with picks/players who end up walking away after the deadline.

• elmerbrownelmerbrown - May 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Bankrupt in 4 years

• hockey412 - May 14, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Snider is what, 90? Wait till he passes and they move the team to Kansas.

• broadstreetbeatdown - May 14, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Only team that was ever in jeopardy of going to Kansas City or Las Vegas is the Hens.

2. navyeoddavee9 - May 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Time for Disco Dan to go, need new direction and Sherro can go with him

3. navyeoddavee9 - May 14, 2014 at 1:55 PM

*Shero

4. c9castine - May 14, 2014 at 1:56 PM

it would go to show how good they are at maintaining an image and choosing words carefully when publically speaking because there hasnt even been an inkling of dissention portrayed at any time.

sometimes reports just say this stuff at times like these because it seems to fit the storyline, but to be honest, i am a believe that most times where there is smoke, there is fire.

and where there is fire, there needs to be firings.

• mangoman1966 - May 14, 2014 at 3:03 PM

I cant remember the last coach who had the locker room. Scotty bowman didn’t. Also Mike therien. Now bylsma. Who’s running this damn team then

• c9castine - May 14, 2014 at 3:14 PM

therien did for a long time so did byslma. so does everybody for every team until a certain point.

5. Minus35 - May 14, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Why don’t they hire Adam Oates?

• r8rbhawk - May 14, 2014 at 2:21 PM

I’m onto you, there cannot be that many people who want to troll the Caps through the use of a screen name. I know there are a lot of conspiracy theories out there that Blomfeld has multiple accounts, which may or may not be true. This however I believe is bona fide, grade A fact. Minus35 is the same guy as fivetozeroingame7, and the same guy as 1cupin70years (whose name I believe is to troll the Rangers or the Senators) Too many coincidences to not believe this is true.

• AlexOvechkinMinus35 - May 14, 2014 at 2:40 PM

I have no idea what you’re talking about.

• mangoman1966 - May 14, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Blomfeld is a killer

• theageofquarrel - May 14, 2014 at 3:13 PM

I would rather they hire Hall and Oates.

• hockey412 - May 14, 2014 at 4:09 PM

BEAUTIFULLY PLAYED, SIR.

6. imnotyourbuddyguy - May 14, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Welcome to Pittsburgh Barry Trotz

7. c9castine - May 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM

btw for what it is worth, the pittsburgh penguins beat reporters are excellent at their jobs and i dont ever recall them reporting things that arent true or in an irresponsible manner.

Buccigross is hard to trust but if you guys see things coming out of the pittsburgh tribune-review, you can go ahead and believe it.

• patthehockeyfan - May 14, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Yep. Rob Rossi has reported truthfully and well in past articles. No reason to think that what he’s written on TribLive this time isn’t true.

8. bwayblueshirt - May 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM

If Shero stays, it’ll be Trotz. Connected from time in NSH, more disciplined than yes-man Dan. Done deal. If Shero goes too, though, that’s when things could get interesting…

• steelpenbucs87 - May 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I don’t know though – for almost that exact logic I would wonder if Trotz would come to Pittsburgh. If he comes to Pittsburgh and the team falters, Shero probably gets canned and then he’s partially responsible for his buddy getting fired.

• c9castine - May 14, 2014 at 2:19 PM

thats actually exactly why he wont be here.

mario and burkle arent stupid. bringing in trotz because shero knows him would take us further down the rabbit hole.

• bwayblueshirt - May 14, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I guess it depends on how much Super Mario blames Shero for the CF that has been the Penguins postseason performances.

9. vcupats - May 14, 2014 at 2:03 PM

They would be more than welcome in DC, if only to figure out how to beat Pittsburgh.

• AlexOvechkinMinus35 - May 14, 2014 at 2:47 PM

or 20 other teams

10. 7mantel - May 14, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Hate it when the media get’s a little snippet of something and runs with it without digging into it !

11. patthehockeyfan - May 14, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Not surprised. What does surprise me, though, are the reasons:

“Players were unhappy with Bylsma’s numerous meetings and long practices and the decreasing sense of fun within the Penguins’ daily environment, the sources said.

Crosby and Malkin also grew disenchanted with perceived harsh criticism they received from Bylsma during meetings, the sources said.

Also, the sources said, ownership was concerned about the Crosby’s body language during the playoffs.”

Crosby’s body language. While that can be interpreted a number of ways, I don’t see as how Bylsma can be criticized for that.

I read a comment in the past day or two in which the writer complimented Bylsma for not throwing players under the bus, and suggested that any player criticisms were made during player meetings. It doesn’t appear as if that was a good working strategy either.

This is beginning to sound like Torts / Vancouver redux.

• fpstratton - May 14, 2014 at 3:22 PM

I don’t see how Crosby’s decreased productivity is the fault of the coach. Should Bylsma be credited for when Crosby plays well? They won a Stanley Cup together, so the chemistry can’t be that bad. Sidney just didn’t play well in these playoffs. A coaching change may not help the fact that the Penguins just aren’t built for the playoffs. Some of the role players that propelled them to Stanley Cup heights aren’t there anymore. They need to retool a bit, but this is still a very good club…..not much difference between a lot of teams this year.

• bern1417 - May 15, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Get off the Bylsma won the Cup soapbox already!!! Bylsma won that cup with Michel Therrien’s 2 assistant coaches ( Yeo and Fitzgerald) and using Therrien’s system.. The entire defensive system stayed in tact and Bylsma made a few adjustments with the forwards that freed them up and let them skate a little more. Plus Bylsma wasn’t belittling the players like Therrien did. That is why Bylsma won A CUP!!!! Ever since he implemented his own sytem with his two inept coaches it’s been regular season success followed by playoff flameouts due to his inability to adjust. His arrogance in thinking bc his lack of D and east/west passes that worked during the regular season when the ice is open would work when the ice shrinks in the playoffs is what doomed him.

• clarke16 - May 14, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Crosby’s recent drop-off in play and erratic behavior/attitude are often your best sign of the leading edge of an impending permanent decline in that player’s performance. The smart money would be looking to sell Sid Crosby right now before the swoon and while his value is still high. The trouble is–so few have the guts to actually pull it off…

In a functional room–NO player is above the team. Bylsma is trying to maintain the integrity of the leadership hierarchy there that Crosby is busy undermining–and the Pens ownership is too inastute to do anything but play right into it…

Let me correct myself… Smart money sells the Pens AND Crosby right now. This franchise is headed south… You can book it. ;)

12. djshnooks - May 14, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Too bad Team USA didn’t have a real coach. Maybe they would have won something…instead of having this loser.

13. steelpenbucs87 - May 14, 2014 at 2:09 PM

I don’t think Bylsma should coach the Pens anymore, and I think it makes sense that they move on.

With that being said, ugh, I feel for the guy. He always seemed like a good guy who was active in the community and the city. I still think he’s a good coach and I think he’ll have success somewhere else (I feel like Washington could be a good fit, as much as it pains me to say it), but I do think its time to go.

Never envied coaches – their failings being so public – but I guess that’s the business and part of why they get paid big bucks.

Best of luck Disco. Everything above goes the same for Shero too, if he goes.

Now…. where did I put John Stevens’ phone number?

• c9castine - May 14, 2014 at 2:37 PM

haha at john stevens

please not john stevens.

i want somebody out of the blue that not everybody and their mother has a book written on.

if the Pens just go to the list of “available former NHL head coaches” and start dialing numbers this whole thing is going to get even worse.

lets take our time, look around.

• steelpenbucs87 - May 14, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I don’t think Stevens would be terrible, but he was more of a place holder.

You’ sound like you’re looking for the next Jon Cooper. Not a bad way to think about things I admit, but I would be concerned a little bit with a guy trying to learn on the job a bit while the window is still open.

• c9castine - May 14, 2014 at 2:47 PM

if we dont find the next jon cooper we will be rolling through coaches like washington until we do.

but i dont want a jon cooper type. i want a joel quenneville type.

• fpstratton - May 14, 2014 at 3:24 PM

You could be right, but I don’t think that will cure all the problems that ail the Penguins. They still have a good core of players and win a lot of regular season games. Just a little retooling could get them back to the Stanley Cup finals.

• rt810223 - May 14, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Okay, this is part of the problem as I see it. The Pens, ever since Crosby came around, receive NO criticism from anyone whatsoever. Even now it isn’t that great when they’ve deserved major criticism for several years. I would’ve made major changes after the embarrassing loss to Philly two years ago, but no that was okay because it’s the Pens, right? They don’t need to have any accountability!

I’m mostly talking the sports media here when I say they receive little criticism, but so many fans are beyond blind and seem to buy into the fact that this franchise can do no wrong. Guess what? This is a franchise that has regressed BIG TIME in the past several years- take a really close look at their roster and you’ll get what I mean. Personally it seems the only thing they care about is filling their seats and keeping the precious sell-out streak alive. Something else I could care less about. I digress, admittedly, but it is okay to call a spade a spade and the Pens deserve to be trashed some as they’ve massively underachieved for several years and apparently are fine with a bunch of nimrods running the show.

So Bylsma’s a nice guy, huh? Can I honestly ask why anyone would care about that? I don’t watch the team because the coach is a nice guy and involved in the community- great things undoubtedly, but completely irrelevant. I’m sure he is a nice guy, but that makes no difference to me whatsoever. As much as I love Pittsburgh sports, the fans here are sometimes beyond strange for comments just like yours. Apologies for the complete tirade on you, but wake up and realize this team is a joke and stop defending them. It’s just a game when it comes down to it, but it is okay to be honest about them and say they need major changes and haven’t been run well or coached well for several years.

• steelpenbucs87 - May 15, 2014 at 9:14 AM

A couple of things to note here:

1) A lot of people in the Pittsburgh media – bloggers and newspapers alike – as well as fans have seen the issues with this team. Whether its composure, a lack of forward depth, the incessant need to “stick with our guys” that led to the guys like Engelland, Adams, and Glass getting minutes over more skilled up and comers like Megna and Despres….. trust me, I think your characterization of the fan base as head in the clouds know-nothings is a little misguided.

2) You seem to completely miss the first thing I said: I think Bylsma should be let go. He didn’t get the job done and has lost control of the locker room. He is not fit to coach the Pens. The reason I point out that he was a nice guy, and did a lot for the community is because this guy is a HUMAN FREAKING BEING who is likely going to be fired very publicly, with the details of his failings laid out over the course of the next few months. He’s going to have to uproot his family, his KIDS, and move to a completely new city and start over. Now, as I mentioned, this is why they get paid as well as they do – it’s a part of the job. But we would be remiss to note, as we gleefully shove him out the door, that there are things (in this case a lot of things) that these guys do outside of the rink that have positive effects on the lives of Pittsburghers and Pens fans.

Like I said – he didn’t get the job done and the Pens should move on, but pardon me for one second if I just want to express a little bit of empathy for what will be a trying time for him and his family, after a lot of great memories that he was a part of for Pens fans and the city of Pittsburgh…. but you’re right, I’M the strange one…

14. esracerx46 - May 14, 2014 at 2:11 PM

We all know ownership would never do this, but perhaps Crosby is the problem? I think Bylsma is a bit intimidated by Crosby. Sure he puts up points and is a very talented player, but come playoffs teams pick on him. The league know how to defeat the Penguins and that’s through Crosby. He needs to be more even keel, stop with the pouting, the head shaking, the whining. Deal with it. The more attention you get the less others get, and the Penguins have some very talented players.

As far as Shero, As much as I dislike him, it’s really over anything he did. He was handed a gift when he was hired. He hasn’t made any real poor choices. I get the feeling he’d like to do more but ownership may play too big of a role.

Bylsma, despite the gaff that was the US Olympic team I think is a good coach. I think he needs to be tougher on some players however, but again ownership may be the reason he doesn’t. When you see the owner coddling the star players in the locker room after a loss….that says a lot

• bern1417 - May 15, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Ya Crosby should just shut his mouth and skate with his head down.. Meanwhile, the clutching and grabbing is back in the game – even though from Oct- Apr it is called all the time – , his coach and more importantly his GM have failed him over the last 3 seasons at bringing in players who are bigger and will protect him. Mind you no other star player in the NHL gets abused like he does with repercussions and most importantly the GM has built a two line team that has 3-4 career AHL players playing on their bottom 6. You’re right the face of the franchise should just SHUT UP bc possibly losing him for another 2 seasons is a good thing. Shero hasn’t made poor choices? Try only 4 drafted forwards in his 8 years as GM have skated on NHL ice. One of them ( Hanowski) has played only 5 games, another one ( Jeffrey) wouldn’t have made the NHL team in 29 other organizations, so that leaves Bennett and Staal.. And since Bennett spend most of the time on the IR I guess it’s just 1 forward in 8 years. But hey keep trading the high picks for rentals bc it’s obviously paying off. You obviously have NO clue what you’re talking about, bc up until this point ownership has done nothing but give Shero the greenlight to spend to the cap ceiling. Mario and Burkle stay out of all hockey related business pertaining to the team until this disaster. Granted the Pens aren’t making the finals yearly ,I get that, I’ve followed hockey and the Pens for 30 years so I realize the difficulty involved. However, Mario and Burkle watched the 2012 embarrassment and let it go, then they watched Shero go all in and build a solid 2013 team that was big, fast, and hit; only to watch them get sweeped as their coach was outcoached every which way possible. 2013 was the mulligan, and after seeing the things this article states ownership has seen enough. Many in this town don’t remember the dog days off 2002 through 2005 when the Pens were garbage bc of the previous owner, but I do. If the picks keep getting traded away, and the future keeps getting exploited many fans will bail I guarantee it bc they’re gutless.. This team has sold out every game for the last 7.5 years, and has a waiting list for season tickets 9,000 fans deep so risking the health of stars isn’t an option.

• bern1417 - May 15, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Does it say a lot about the owner when he’s sending team wide texts to the players before game 7 of the SCF? Does it say a lot when after getting hammered in game 5 of the SCF he walks into the dressing room and tell the team “no big deal we’re going home and winning game 6 then coming back here for game 7″? Does it say a lot when the owner sees MAF have a bad playoff game and he’s sitting next to his stall talking to him? That’s what 66 does to his players. So assuming that he’s coddling 87 bc he watched him be frustrated most of the night shows how dumb you really are and exactly how little you know about anything in this organization!!!!

15. convincedofthehex - May 14, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Torts!!!

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - May 14, 2014 at 2:30 PM

Just solely for the entertainment value, please let that happen.

16. pitpenguinsrulez - May 14, 2014 at 2:13 PM

I can’t wait for tomorrow. Bylsma is gone but Shero I don’t know. Won’t surprise me either way if he stays or goes.

17. hockey412 - May 14, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Man when you said it cites multiple sources, I didn’t realize you meant that literally…actually says “according to multiple sources”…hahaha.

It will be an interesting year. The team did seem to lose interest during the year, and that’s just scary. It doesn’t account for dropping 3 straight to the NYR, but again, they can’t change nothing. Has to be movement. Whatever they do, I’m still just glad to be a fan.

GO PENS!

18. nicknyhc - May 14, 2014 at 2:18 PM

All rivalries and trash talking aside:

Maybe their captain is the real problem. Obviously Crosby is an elite talent, there’s no disputing that. When your captain falls apart every post season ( 2012 versus the Flyers, 2013 versus the Bruins, this year versus the Rangers) it is toxic for the team.

You can’t have a captain whining and arguing with the coach on the bench during a playoff series. The real issue is Crosby’s leadership or lack thereof.

If I’m the Pens I trade Crosby for 2 good players and a pick or two. Or at the very least strip him of the C. He’s been getting the golden boy treatment for too long and its detrimental to the team.

• uhokjoe - May 14, 2014 at 2:35 PM

I’m wondering that same.

Is it not so much his coaching as it is being saddled with an entitled bunch of whiners? I think the underlying cause is not so much his coaching (which admittedly was baffling in some instances) as it was Crosby and Malkin. I think these two bought into their own hype and ruled the locker room.

When I read “Ownership believed Bylsma lost the dressing room this season, specifically the support of franchise centers Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, the sources said;” I didn’t immediately think ‘bad coach.’ I thought more of two popular high school jocks that were mad because they were asked to be accountable and weren’t being treated as ‘special.’

• laxman1944 - May 14, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Spot on

Been saying it for years

Sid is a great player

Sid is a bad captain and a poor leader

• hockey412 - May 14, 2014 at 3:21 PM

And let me guess…they should trade him to your team.

Stupidity. Conjecture. You’ve nailed them both.

• fpstratton - May 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Excellent idea. They can get a lot for him, and a change of venue for him will do all parties a world of good.

• 6superbowls - May 14, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Trade Crosby. Right? What a stoopid comment???

• uhokjoe - May 14, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I don’t think Crosby should be traded. Obviously the pens are getting a new coach; I just hope they get somebody that will hold the top guys accountable. Somebody needs to reign in Crosby when he stops acting like a captain and acts like a spoiled diva. I don’t like Crosby, but, there is no denying his skill and it would be foolish to trade him away.

Now Malkin or Neal is a different story lose one (or both) to free up some money for defense depth.

• itripledogdareyou - May 15, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Nick,
      Crosby falls apart every postseason? The same Crosby that has averaged at least a point per game in the playoffs every year but this one? The same Crosby who has the 22nd highest PPG in playoff history? Obviously this year he was off and disappointing but that’s no reason to trade him or remove the C. Talk about unrealistic expectations. The Pens have a lot of issues much more pressing than Crosby right now. If they had a decent supporting cast, perhaps they could have capitalized on how much pressure and attention both NY & CBJ paid to Crosby.

• bern1417 - May 16, 2014 at 12:21 AM

Let me guess bc you have been inside that locker room huh? You know exactly what goes on.. It’s kind of strange how the player you’re trying to say underperforms in the playoffs also averages a point a game in the playoffs.. Now that’s just serious underachievement!!! 87 isn’t the first player to argue with a coach and after facing his coach in the Olympics how do you know 87 wasn’t right with what his point was? You don’t. Sure he could have been wrong, but nobody besides those two knows what was said in that 4 seconds of tape NBC keeps showing. Ya 87 fell apart in 2012 afterall he did have 8 points in 6 games after playing in 63 games over 2 seasons.. Surely it was bc of him they got swept by Bos too, even though he hit 5 posts by himself and Rask put up a .985% SV.. Sure he underachieved this year but that roster was dog poop and anyone who thought this team was winning a championship is either dumb or a total homer. Nobody knows what kind of leader 87 is bc none of you fools have played on his teams!!!! It’s that simple. Crosby isn’t a stand up and shout leader and he’ll never be and he doesn’t need to be.. It’s funny how everyone expects him to act meek when he’s taking cross-check to the head, sticks to the face, head rammed into the glass, slewfoots left and right.. He should just be humble bc everyone else in the NHL would remain quite especially other stars. Give me a break fool!!! Maybe if Shero would force Bylsma to play some of the muscle they have in WBS or maybe if Shero would attempt to get a player or 2 who will stand up for their stars everyone in Pgh would have a job in 2014-15. Trade Crosby? NEWSFLASH GENIUS WHEN THE BUILT THE CEC AND PUT 18,387 SEATS IN THE PLACE THAT A PRETTY GOOD INDICATION THAT 87 ISN’T GOING ANYWHERE.. Plus he has a NTC along with Malkin.

• bern1417 - May 16, 2014 at 12:49 AM

Well smart guy how does a player who averages more than a point a game in the playoffs fall apart? That’s weird.. 2012 6 games 8pts/ 2013 14G 15Pts/ 2014 13G 9 points… Now granted he underachieved this year but that’s far from the case in 2012 and 2013. 8/6 after only playing in 63 games in 2 seasons followed by a point a game average in 2013 only to hit 5 posts and face a goalie who put up a .985%SV and faced a team who played phenomenal D. And lets not forget his coach getting outcoached badly. It’s people like you who have NO clue what goes on but think they do that is the problem. How many teams has 87 led that you’ve been on? How do you know they were arguing? Just bc NBC shows a 4sec clip where he says something doesn’t mean it’s a fight. Maybe he’s trying to tell Bylsma this is how we shelled you in the Olympics yet you still run this play or hey maybe get me away from this D since you refuse to match lines. There have been many players or captains argue with their coach in game. It happens!!! 87 GM and coach have failed him and others for the better part of the last 3 seasons. The CEC was built with 18,387 seats 87 isn’t going anywhere plus he has a NTC along with 71. People in this town are thick headed!!! This roster wasn’t winning a cup this year even if Crosby had 15 points during the NYR series.

19. clubdrunk18 - May 14, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Fire both!
    Bill Guerin GM
    Mike Keenan HC
    These two have a good relationship and Keenan thought so highly of Guerin.
    That combination will get this team to play old school hockey and get them to a CUP.

• President Charles Logan - May 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM

uhh yeah… this isnt 1993 anymore

• maalea - May 14, 2014 at 2:50 PM

After his year in the KHL, I’m sure Iron Mike could say a few things to Malkin in his mother tongue and get his attention.

20. idonthavethebloodyoucrave - May 14, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Question to Pens fans, I know it may be a little too soon to answer this with a clear train of thought but why do you think Shero should be fired?

From this view, he’s put together some nice rosters and has worked some excellent cap math. I can’t see the reason why he’s to blame for this. Any enlightenment?

• c9castine - May 14, 2014 at 2:41 PM

look at his draft history. look at what he did this year, filling the roster with 1.5 m taylor pyatt and signing rob scuderi to a 4 year 3.8 mil contract..

he has a terrible history of player drafting and developement too and has put together one of the softest rosters in the league around our stars.

• miketoasty - May 14, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Ah, can’t believe I forgot that, good call c9, his drafting has been pretty bad as well. Almost always just taking the best player available and never really looking at the teams needs.

• c9castine - May 14, 2014 at 2:58 PM

eek i dont even know about that.

remember, at one time the pittsburgh penguins were up at the podium and jonathon toews name was still on the list.

• c9castine - May 14, 2014 at 3:10 PM

max pacioretty and PK subban are among the players that were selected after angelo esposito, but before the penguins next pick in 2007. david perron too.

2008 was a complete wash didnt even draft til 4th round.

we got simon despres first round 2009 and dont play him but then ryan oreilly, and tomas tatar were picked.

we did good picking bennett first round 2010 but in looking through the rest, i see nothing. two picks went nowhere, two picks are currently in the AHL. and not looking to promising.

2011 we drafted joe morrow who we didnt like and traded for brendan morrow which turned out super great. john gibson and brandon saad were the drafted, two great pittsburgh products who are now established NHL players, before we picked defenseman scott harrington.

2012 was actually really good. some player we passed up on between picking pouliot 8th and maatta are jacob trouba, filip forsberg, thomas hertl, teuvo teravainen, and mikhail grigorenko. i think Maatta will be an excellent player though. the aforementioned oscar sundqvist and teddy blueger were then drafted.

2013. still really early, but we didnt have a 1st round pick and took tristan jarry in the second round who is supposed to be a pretty good goalie prospect. i dont know much about anybody else.

when you go back and look at it, its pretty bad.

• miketoasty - May 14, 2014 at 2:47 PM

The current thinking is that he put together too many teams with too many holes. This year we had a team with basically all AHL players playing the third and fourth line roles (And Crosby’s wing of course) and no tough players to defend Crosby when Staal or Dubinsky were going after him.

I’m not so sure that would be the right move (Firing Shero) right now.

• steelpenbucs87 - May 14, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Tremendous in the trade market, but his drafting has been suspect. He’s hit on a number of puck moving defenseman, but that’s essentially all he drafts so you know how blind squirrels can be. Kind of a crazy stat: since Shero took over, no player has scored more than 15 goals in a season that he drafted. ZERO. The one guy who did score 15 – Dustin Jeffrey – is in Dallas now.

He bet on Bylsma last off season with his job, and now he’s going to pay for it.

• idonthavethebloodyoucrave - May 14, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Didn’t know that. Thank you for the insight.

• bern1417 - May 16, 2014 at 1:32 AM

Actually that comment is VERY FALSE bc Staal put up 29 goals in his rookie year, and he also scored more than 15 goals in a season 4 times while in Pgh.. Also Jeffrey HAS NEVER PUT UP 15 GOALS IN AN NHL SEASON!!!!! He had 15 total goals with the Pens over 110 NHL games but he’s never scored 15 in one NHL season. He did put up 17 in WBS.. How your comment got 19 thumbs up when it’s all false is beyond me, lol..

• steelpenbucs87 - May 16, 2014 at 9:04 AM

bern — Staal was drafted in 2003. A full 3 years before Shero took over. So everything you said is completely wrong on that front. You’d think someone so quick to call out a mistake (which I’ll address below), would at least have some working knowledge of the team.

As for the DJ thing, you are correct I misread the stat. The reality is no Shero drafted player has scored 15 goals in their CAREERS with the Pens… so it’s even more damning.

You’re an idiot.

• c9castine - May 14, 2014 at 2:55 PM

beau bennett is the only forward i can think of that has made himself into anything at all in the NHL (he got benched in game 7 for tanner glass). and hes played less than 100 NHL games hes still just an unproven talent.

there apparently is a couple good ones in the system like oskar sundqvist and teddy blueger but that remains to be seen.

in 2007, he drafted angelo esposito in the first round simply because he knew he had pedigree. i doubt he ever planned to develop that guy, i think his true intentions were always to use him as a trade piece and he did that to acquire what turned out to be a rental in marian hossa. we spent two roster players and a few draft picks/prospects for a guy who played here 3 months. and he has done that many times. it worked once.

• prohockeyking - May 14, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Which galaxy did you come from? He sucks at math and he hasn’t put together a full roster of NHL talent since 2009.

What he has done is mortgage away this teams future with the “blockbuster” trades and poor signing decisions.

He’s also taken 80% of the salary cap and applied it to a handful of players, leaving no room for experience and depth throughout the roster. Crosby & Malkin are great players, but they need support. As a Pens fan, I will admit that Crosby is a whiner, but teams target him and do it with success simply because if you take him out, then who is left? Malkin, sometimes.. he plays in streaks, but is a monster when he’s on.. Kunitz? Worthless if Crosby is taken out of the game… Neal? Worthless without Malkin centering and costing a fortune…Jokinen is about the only other player who has really shown scoring potential and was a steal, now a free agent.

The player with the most untapped potential is Bennett. He should have been playing wing with Crosby since he returned from injury. He has mad skills, but not put in a place to succeed and/or grow as a player. Instead… he sits in the pressbox for game 7 when you need more playmakers on the ice, not Tanner Glass. I guess they thought it was going to be a fight night.

• bern1417 - May 16, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Seriously? I think when you have only drafted 4 forwards in 8 years who have skated in the NHL that’s a pretty good indication. Plus 1 of the 4 has only played in 5 NHL games, another wouldn’t have made it in any other organization, and the 3rd has spent significant time on the IR. The kicker is the 4th player isn’t in Pgh anymore..Shero has drafted quite a few D and the Pens evidently are loaded with D but only 2 have played more than a half a season in the NHL and both of them were this season. With Despres, Pouliot, Harrington, Dumoulin and Samuelsson all waiting for the NHL 1 or 2 will need to be moved for forwards. He also has recklessly spent some money. Signing a 34 yr old pylon to a 4 yr contract with all that youth in the pipeline was dumb. His dumb signing of the 5’10” or smaller fast skaters is a mistake too. The Pens have too many. It almost seemed like him and Bylsma were trying to turn the NHL into this fast paced limited contact game which isn’t going to happen anytime soon. This years roster was awfully thin but with the cap where it was I understand why it was thin, but he still could have beefed it up some to help his stars. Shero has drilled some trades no doubt, but his loyalty toward vetern players is ridiculous at times. Try reading The Evolution of Ray Shero and The Kris Letang Signing on the thehockeywriters.com and you’ll see why his mentality is what it is though.

21. smarshall3789 - May 14, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I’m gonna put my hate for Sid away on this one! First of all you never trade Sid away ever!! The coach needs to go and so does the gm! Shero is an idiot I mean really you couldn’t find anyone better the Stemps to play with Crosby in either FA or trade! I find that hard to believe, I know there is a lot of star wingers who would love to play with Sid and all you give the best player is crap! Trade Malkin he’s way overrated and where was he this season! He’s soft and takes bad penalties! I’d trade Malkin for anything get that cap number gone! I’d get rid of the old ass blue line the have! Martin Orpik have to go! They can re tool on the fly they have the talent and assists to do it! Oh and for a coach I think trotz would be a great pick of for them! damn I can’t believe I just talked about the penguins considering I’m a die hard wings fan and love to see this team fail but for those who say trade Crosby you don’t know hockey at all!!

• beergold - May 14, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Yep the only way Crosby gets traded is if he goes to Mario and says “I am done here, will never wear the jersey again, get me out RFN!” Will never happen!

22. opattytheirishrover - May 14, 2014 at 2:43 PM

What the Pens need is a man who has experience coaching water fowls, Mr. Gordon Bombay.

Amen.

23. penvik - May 14, 2014 at 2:55 PM

The NHL also has a major problem. Having lesser teams win all the time is a huge issue. Other sports have their best teams play in the finals. I can recall numerous times just with the Penguins themselves. It has a big part to do with the rule changes from regular season to the playoffs. The Pens were constructed according to the NHL rule book, when games are played without rules being followed then it becomes bush league. This is why the NFL/MLB will always be the bigger leagues, they actually use their rules as written. In the post season and reg season. Crosby only drew 2 penalties in the playoffs, that’s laughable and should be a big red flag for the NHL. I saw 4-5 missed calls at least per game. If he’s stopped, it’s more than likely a penalty, and he was stopped a lot, so in essence should have resulted in multiple penalties per game.
    Chicago and Pittsburgh should meet annually for the cup, until Crosby/Malkin & Toews/Kane get old or retire. Every so often I could see an upset but they should meet at least 80%+ for the cup. The fact that it hasn’t happened yet is a league wide issue. It falls on Shero/Bylsma first and foremost, but the problem is much MUCH bigger than that. Playoffs are like the dead puck era and nobody cares, you know why? Because it keeps teams like the Leafs, Panthers, etc. with hope because apparently anyone can win, don’t matter if you have talent or not. Makes no difference, just big oafs that can clutch and grab. The stars in the league are also apparently supposed to put up with the garbage and rise above. What is blind f&&& is that?!! Nice playoff rule boys, just brutal.

• petersteelewannabe - May 14, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Letting stuff go in the PO’s works both ways-in the regular season Crosby may very well have gotten a call from NY for tripping (practically slew footing) Girardi plus the nut job he did on that other dude from Rangers.

• hoeppnni0101 - May 14, 2014 at 3:32 PM

How do you explain the Blackhawks win 2 Cups in 4 years? Are the Kings and Bruins “Lesser Teams”? Has nothing to do with the refs. Winners win, and losers complain. There are other talented teams besides Pittsburgh. I would argue there are teams with more talent then the Pens. Hawks, Kings, Bruins at the very least. Its a team game. Crosby is great, but it takes a great team.

• flyboystransport - May 14, 2014 at 3:57 PM

That’s retarded. Penguins got eliminated because they don’t play defense which becomes tougher in the playoffs. Why? Because you play the same team 4 to 7 times in a row so when there’s no structure to your team you lose.

• thesportsjudge - May 14, 2014 at 4:06 PM

“Lesser teams?” Are you that much of an elitist that you think all the Cup winners since your team last won are “lesser?” Way to be a pompous douchekazoo. Other Pens’ fans may make some absurd statements, but this takes the cake!

• maalea - May 14, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I’m sure you felt the same way when the Steelers won the Super bowl as a 8th seed. A lesser team, right?

24. lovac2 - May 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I’m sure Eddie Olczyk could go far with this team next year.

25. penvik - May 14, 2014 at 2:57 PM

The fact that teams like Montreal and New York Rangers are still alive is a BIG black eye for this league. I would say the NHL now does not belong in the major league sport category. It’s more bush league, make up rules as you go

• theageofquarrel - May 14, 2014 at 3:48 PM

Is that tin foil hat one size fits all?

• hoeppnni0101 - May 14, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Why is it a black eye? They have good players too. The East is wide open because there just aren’t as many quality teams in the east. Give it up already the Pens got beat.

• thesportsjudge - May 14, 2014 at 4:07 PM

So you WOULDN’T rather have Price or Hank in your net? You are certifiable.

26. steelcity333 - May 14, 2014 at 3:09 PM

If any of the things Rob Rossi is reporting about then Crosby and Malkin should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. Tired of hard practices, heavy criticism from the coaches, and the environment wasn’t fun? Are you serious? Out of every athlete that has come through Pittsburgh those two would have been two of the last one’s I would have ever expected to do something like that.

• fpstratton - May 14, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Agreed. It looks like the Penguins have two divas on their hands. I don’t think they were always like this, were they?

• steelcity333 - May 14, 2014 at 3:37 PM

No. People say Crosby shouldn’t be the captain because of the way he acts on the ice but he is BY FAR the hardest working player off the ice. That’s why he’s captain. Same goes for Malkin. But if this is true it would be a shock to me.

27. garybrian - May 14, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Guess you gotta blame someone for he loss. How about the players. Where was Sidney Crosby during the playoffs?

28. bradyisyourdaddy - May 14, 2014 at 3:13 PM

Very embarrassing for the Penguins. I enjoyed watching crosby whine.. Blame the coach or the goalie or the GM…. This falls on the baby with superstar talent and the heart of the Sedin Sisters

• fpstratton - May 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM

HaHa! The Sedin Sisters! Very funny!

29. ducksk - May 14, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Who’s brilliant idea was it to have 2 offensive coachs switch every other game? Not Danny’s. That was incredibly stupid and unheard of. Having played a long time, I would hate having a different voice in my ear every other game. Perhaps the reason offensive stars were quiet. They love Granato, wtf was Ray and or Mario thinking. It didn’t work at all and was one of the stupidest things I have seen in 50 years of hockey. Lots if blame to go around at every level….but this is the playoffs, and NYR was good. Let’s bring in more if the French connection and watch this franchise crumble.

30. steelcity333 - May 14, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Rumor out there that they will try to buyout Mike Babcock’s last year. Doubt that will happen but that would fix A LOT of issues this team has right now. Not blaming Bylsma for everything but this team does need a change.

31. podevil - May 14, 2014 at 3:57 PM

You can’t trade Malkin or Crosby..they have no trade contracts.. If Letang stays he will also have a no trade clause in his new contract..They need to sit these guys down and get it straight…No respect for their coach at all! All because Blysma called them out and wanted them to practice…I think the quote was..”He took the fun out of their hockey” Acting like little babies!

32. flyboystransport - May 14, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Bottom line is if Crosby and malkin got two coaches canned that let them be creative with the offense how would trot a coach that focuses on defense work?

• flyboystransport - May 14, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Trotz

33. earpaniac - May 14, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I still say the main problem is Shero. He can’t draft or acquire guys who fit. Chicago is basically the same. New GM, Bowman, gets handed awesome core players. He filled in and drafted well, they have won a cup and look to be well set up for the future. The Pens are still basically those same 3 guys. You take them out of games, they don’t have anyone else.

34. wegonnarockdownto7thlombardiavenue - May 14, 2014 at 4:19 PM

I’d fire Shero & Bylsma and hire Neil Smith & Mike Keenan to replace

35. blue21c - May 14, 2014 at 4:28 PM

I love seeing Penguins fans crying in their Iron City. Just like your boy, Sid the Squid!!!Waaaaaaaaaaaa

36. gsr1191 - May 14, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I was listening to NHL radio this morning and Rossi brought up something VERY interesting. He actually brought Babcock into the conversation. Apparently, there have been rumors that he would like to coach Crosby. Adding fuel to the rumor is the fact that he has yet to sign the extension offered to him by the Wings.

37. newgod99 - May 14, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Crosby coaches this team. Trade him to the panthers.

38. bleedblackngold96 - May 14, 2014 at 5:02 PM

@smarshall3789: TRADE MALKIN?! ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR SKULL?! Evgeni Malkin would be waaaay more deserving of the Captaincy than Sid and you say they TRADE him?! Thank god the Pens don’t ask you for advice

39. restohpens - May 14, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Penguins have a head coach they hired last year to step in just in case this happened. His name is Jacques Martin, maybe you Canadians have heard if him?

40. oquintero99 - May 14, 2014 at 5:20 PM

I’m surprised Pierre Mcguire hasn’t been brought up here for GM…He can comb Crosby’s hair and Crosby can be happy.

41. corvetteman6 - May 14, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Shame that the coach and GM are held responsible for a superstar who quit on his town and his city because “The coach wasn’t making it fun.” Prima donna. I lost all respect for 87 this year.

42. corvetteman6 - May 14, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Shame that the coach and GM are held responsible for a superstar who quit on his team and his city because “The coach wasn’t making it fun.” Prima donna. I lost all respect for 87 this year.

43. luuo73 - May 14, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Hey Penguins Fans, I hear Tortorella is available!!!!

44. penguins87and71 - May 14, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Where’s all the blame for Sidney Crosby? Apparently he and Malkin didn’t like Byslma criticizing their play, and they didn’t like how the meetings and the practices were so long, they thought the atmosphere wasn’t fun anymore. I’m sick of it! When are the players going to take responsibility for their actions? It all starts with number 87, I’m sick and tired of everyone making excuses for this guy! Instead of just moping around, why didn’t he go out their and play like actually he gave a crap! His the captain of the team, and this is how his going to lead? By moping around and not playing hard? I’m sick of the complaining, just go out their and do your job, and if don’t want to do that, then get off the team.

• stakex - May 14, 2014 at 6:51 PM

In a perfect world the players would shoulder an even share of the blame. That’s not the way it is though. There are other coaches out there…. super starts are a lot harder to replace, even ones that get whiny when things aren’t going well. Its also easier to hang the whole thing around the coaches neck and fire him, than it is to fire all the players.

• laxman1944 - May 14, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Sidney Crosby is a poor captain/leader

45. rpiotr01 - May 14, 2014 at 7:41 PM

In a way Ranger fans can relate. Torts became a drag on the team and it stopped being fun for those guys. He became a burden to everyone, especially Lundqvist, you could see it. You can call the players babies but what is an owner/GM supposed to do? Force an unhappy marriage?

Sometimes it just happens, it’s time for a change. Bylsma had his run, it’s over, get a fresh voice in there and Crosby et al get a clean slate.

46. penvik - May 14, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Crosby needs a Bill Guerin type player. And yes, it’s because of lack of leadership

47. mediatedviscera - May 15, 2014 at 12:53 AM

Are you serious? The most disturbing implication is that ​”The Two Best Players In The World” should not be held accountable for the fact that they did not make their teammates better…are you crazy? Their job is to lead and make their teammates better! That’s what captains do! That’s what the face of the the NHL should do instead of throwing tantrums and remaining defiantly unaccountable…the culture of this team starts with the fact that Crosby is an unaccountable coddled cancer that the coach, players, and GM have to walk on egg shells around. Most teams left in the payoffs have far less talent than this team does. The teams that are on par such as Chicago have leaders who make others better and don’t embarrass their fans when things dont go their way. Ashamed to be Pen’s fan today.

48. blue21c - May 15, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Look at the bright side: we no longer have to look at Sid the Squid’s ugly peach fuzz

Top 10 NHL Player Searches