May 14, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Penguins ownership favors firing coach Dan Bylsma, according to a report in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, which cites multiple sources.
And apparently ownership isn’t too happy with general manager Ray Shero, either:
No decision had been made as of Wednesday morning, but ownership was contemplating the firing of Shero along with coach Dan Bylsma, the sources said.
Ownership is not satisfied with the direction of the franchise and feels Shero specifically tethered himself to Bylsma, who he signed to a two-year extension after the Penguins were swept from the Eastern Conference final last June, the sources said.
Ownership believed Bylsma lost the dressing room this season, specifically the support of franchise centers Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, the sources said.
The above report (there’s lots more in it, so definitely click on the link) comes not long after a tweet, from ESPN’s John Buccigross, that suggested discord in the Pens’ room:
Taking everything into account, it would be a real surprise if Bylsma were back next season. The biggest question now might be the future of Shero, a.k.a. the NHL’s reigning GM of the year.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 2
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)