May 14, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Penguins ownership favors firing coach Dan Bylsma, according to a report in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, which cites multiple sources.
And apparently ownership isn’t too happy with general manager Ray Shero, either:
No decision had been made as of Wednesday morning, but ownership was contemplating the firing of Shero along with coach Dan Bylsma, the sources said.
Ownership is not satisfied with the direction of the franchise and feels Shero specifically tethered himself to Bylsma, who he signed to a two-year extension after the Penguins were swept from the Eastern Conference final last June, the sources said.
Ownership believed Bylsma lost the dressing room this season, specifically the support of franchise centers Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, the sources said.
The above report (there’s lots more in it, so definitely click on the link) comes not long after a tweet, from ESPN’s John Buccigross, that suggested discord in the Pens’ room:
Taking everything into account, it would be a real surprise if Bylsma were back next season. The biggest question now might be the future of Shero, a.k.a. the NHL’s reigning GM of the year.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 70
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)