May 14, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Penguins ownership favors firing coach Dan Bylsma, according to a report in the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, which cites multiple sources.
And apparently ownership isn’t too happy with general manager Ray Shero, either:
No decision had been made as of Wednesday morning, but ownership was contemplating the firing of Shero along with coach Dan Bylsma, the sources said.
Ownership is not satisfied with the direction of the franchise and feels Shero specifically tethered himself to Bylsma, who he signed to a two-year extension after the Penguins were swept from the Eastern Conference final last June, the sources said.
Ownership believed Bylsma lost the dressing room this season, specifically the support of franchise centers Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, the sources said.
The above report (there’s lots more in it, so definitely click on the link) comes not long after a tweet, from ESPN’s John Buccigross, that suggested discord in the Pens’ room:
Source: "lots of dissension in the locker room during the playoffs towards him (Blysma). Arguing in meetings, etc. 99.98% he's gone"—
John Buccigross (@Buccigross) May 14, 2014
Taking everything into account, it would be a real surprise if Bylsma were back next season. The biggest question now might be the future of Shero, a.k.a. the NHL’s reigning GM of the year.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)