May 14, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
It’s a longshot, but it also hasn’t been ruled out entirely.
That’s the story out of Boston regarding the availability of defenseman Dennis Seidenberg for tonight’s Game 7 versus Montreal at TD Garden. Seidenberg, sidelined since Dec. 27 with a torn ACL, has made remarkable strides to get back in playing shape — on Wednesday, he participated in contact drills for the second day in a row — and, as such, head coach Claude Julien was asked about the German rearguard’s chances to play this evening.
When asked if Seidenberg had any chance of playing on Wednesday night in the do-or-die Game 7 against the Habs, Julien gave a long pause before giving the answer everyone expected.
“Ah, I don’t think so,” said Julien. “I’d be very surprised.”
Clearly there’s a very low percentage chance that the Bruins will surprise us all by inserting Seidenberg back into the lineup for Game 7. The more likely scenario is that he gets practices under his belt before returning sometime in the conference finals, or Stanley Cup Final, should be the Bruins advance.
Seidenberg, who averaged nearly 26 minutes per game en route to last year’s Stanley Cup Final, said that week he “could probably play right now” prior to Game 4 in Montreal.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 16
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 14
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 54
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)