May 14, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
It’s a longshot, but it also hasn’t been ruled out entirely.
That’s the story out of Boston regarding the availability of defenseman Dennis Seidenberg for tonight’s Game 7 versus Montreal at TD Garden. Seidenberg, sidelined since Dec. 27 with a torn ACL, has made remarkable strides to get back in playing shape — on Wednesday, he participated in contact drills for the second day in a row — and, as such, head coach Claude Julien was asked about the German rearguard’s chances to play this evening.
When asked if Seidenberg had any chance of playing on Wednesday night in the do-or-die Game 7 against the Habs, Julien gave a long pause before giving the answer everyone expected.
“Ah, I don’t think so,” said Julien. “I’d be very surprised.”
Clearly there’s a very low percentage chance that the Bruins will surprise us all by inserting Seidenberg back into the lineup for Game 7. The more likely scenario is that he gets practices under his belt before returning sometime in the conference finals, or Stanley Cup Final, should be the Bruins advance.
Seidenberg, who averaged nearly 26 minutes per game en route to last year’s Stanley Cup Final, said that week he “could probably play right now” prior to Game 4 in Montreal.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)