May 14, 2014, 1:29 PM EDT
It’s a longshot, but it also hasn’t been ruled out entirely.
That’s the story out of Boston regarding the availability of defenseman Dennis Seidenberg for tonight’s Game 7 versus Montreal at TD Garden. Seidenberg, sidelined since Dec. 27 with a torn ACL, has made remarkable strides to get back in playing shape — on Wednesday, he participated in contact drills for the second day in a row — and, as such, head coach Claude Julien was asked about the German rearguard’s chances to play this evening.
When asked if Seidenberg had any chance of playing on Wednesday night in the do-or-die Game 7 against the Habs, Julien gave a long pause before giving the answer everyone expected.
“Ah, I don’t think so,” said Julien. “I’d be very surprised.”
Clearly there’s a very low percentage chance that the Bruins will surprise us all by inserting Seidenberg back into the lineup for Game 7. The more likely scenario is that he gets practices under his belt before returning sometime in the conference finals, or Stanley Cup Final, should be the Bruins advance.
Seidenberg, who averaged nearly 26 minutes per game en route to last year’s Stanley Cup Final, said that week he “could probably play right now” prior to Game 4 in Montreal.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 18
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 14
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)