May 14, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews aren’t the only talented young duo in the NHL, but more than any other recent pair, they get results when it matters most. The two have combined for seven of Chicago’s eight game-winning goals so far in the 2014 postseason.
In other words, they combined for as many game-winners as Evgeni Malkin and Sidney Crosby had total playoff goals in 2014. You can make the same comparison with Anaheim’s Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf as that duo has also scored a combined seven markers.
After Toews picked up the winner in Game 5 of Chicago’s second round series against Minnesota, he “kind of winked at me tonight and said maybe that was my time,” Kane said, according to ESPN Chicago. Given what’s happened so far, he probably wasn’t shocked that his words proved to be prophetic, but Kane likely exceeded even his expectations with his series-clinching overtime winner last night:
That was Kane’s fourth career overtime goal in the playoffs. He’s just 25 years old and yet only three players in the history of the NHL have ever netted more postseason overtime winners than him, per the Elias Sports Bureau. They are a trio of Hall of Famers in Glenn Anderson (five), Maurice Richard (six), and Joe Sakic (eight). Those three also have 16 Stanley Cup championships between them.
Kane and Toews are gunning for their third championship. If they succeed, a byproduct of that will be potentially ending the tie between the two in the Conn Smythe Trophy race. Only five players (Patrick Roy, Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Bobby Orr, and Bernie Parent) have ever won the award twice.
There’s still a lot of hockey left to play and all of the five other teams remaining are all more than capable of winning it all. But right now, Kane and Toews are both looking like serious contenders to join that exclusive list of multiple Conn Smythe winners. They just need to maintain what they’ve been doing throughout their career.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Friday’s interesting tidbits in one spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
Sep 3, 2015, 1:02 PM EDT
This should be good.
Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT
Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 3
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 6
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 28
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)