May 14, 2014, 3:32 PM EST
“I don’t know if that’s a solution,” Maple Leafs president Brendan Shanahan told the Toronto Star. “I think it’s a cop-out, to a certain degree an easy way out.”
In the wake of Toronto’s regular-season collapse, stripping Phaneuf of the captaincy is an idea that’s been floated in the mainstream media and debated by bloggers. It’s been done before by NHL teams, like when the Dallas Stars took the ‘C’ from Mike Modano and gave it to Brenden Morrow. It happened to Patrick Marleau in San Jose, too.
And for a team like Toronto, one that was accused of complacency by one of its now-former assistant coaches, there’s a “wake-up call”-type argument to be made by those who favor doing the same to Phaneuf.
Doesn’t sound like Shanahan is buying that argument though.
“I’ve heard too many times in my life, talking about leadership, this team can’t succeed with this leadership group,” he said. “Until they do.”
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (117)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)