May 14, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Drew Doughty is relishing the opportunity to, once again, fight back from the brink of elimination.
“I love these opportunities, I love the pressure,” the Kings’ top defenseman said, per NHL.com. “I know that going into these situations I’m going to be counted upon and in order for us to win I’ve got to be at the top of my game, so, I just look forward to these opportunities.”
Down 3-2 to the Ducks, the Kings have to win tonight at home and Friday in Anaheim to advance to the Western Conference Final. One loss and their season is over.
Doughty was excellent in the four must-win games the Kings played in the first round against the Sharks, with a goal and three assists combined…
…but in three consecutive losses to the Ducks, after L.A. won the first two games of the series, he’s been held pointless, with a minus-2 rating.
“I just want to go out there and play defensively,” Doughty said. “That’s always my main thing, shutting down the other team’s top line, and then after that, trying to get involved in the offense, and still don’t think I’ve played my absolute best this series, so I’m going to need to do it at home [tonight].”
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 16
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 10
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 30
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 32
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)