May 13, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
The officiating crew has been set for tonight’s Game 7 between the Rangers and Penguins.
Referees Marc Joannette and Kevin Pollock will be calling the action, aided by linesmen Scott Driscoll and Steve Miller. Some notes about tonight’s zebras:
— This is the exact same crew that worked Game 6 of the series, a 3-1 Rangers victory in which the Blueshirts were whistled for six penalties (12 PIM) and the Penguins nine (for 26 PIM). It’s worth noting this was the one featuring the now-infamous Henrik Lundqvist water bottle squirt on Sidney Crosby (which netted Lundqvist a $5,000 fine) and Crosby’s alleged spear and slew foot (on Dominic Moore and Dan Girardi.)
— According to Scouting The Refs, this marks the first time this postseason that a referee crew has worked back-to-back games in a series.
— Earlier in the postseason (Round 1, Chicago vs. St. Louis), Pollock and Joannette were part of a rather infamous incident: Joel Quenneville’s “grabby” gesture during an OT loss to the Blues in which the referees failed to make a delay of game call on St. Louis.
— Pollock has worked over 120 Stanley Cup playoff games in his career and was selected to work the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi; Joannette has called over 100 and worked both the 2008 and 2009 Stanley Cup Finals.
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 0
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 15
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 52
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)