May 13, 2014, 11:29 AM EST
The officiating crew has been set for tonight’s Game 7 between the Rangers and Penguins.
Referees Marc Joannette and Kevin Pollock will be calling the action, aided by linesmen Scott Driscoll and Steve Miller. Some notes about tonight’s zebras:
– This is the exact same crew that worked Game 6 of the series, a 3-1 Rangers victory in which the Blueshirts were whistled for six penalties (12 PIM) and the Penguins nine (for 26 PIM). It’s worth noting this was the one featuring the now-infamous Henrik Lundqvist water bottle squirt on Sidney Crosby (which netted Lundqvist a $5,000 fine) and Crosby’s alleged spear and slew foot (on Dominic Moore and Dan Girardi.)
– According to Scouting The Refs, this marks the first time this postseason that a referee crew has worked back-to-back games in a series.
– Earlier in the postseason (Round 1, Chicago vs. St. Louis), Pollock and Joannette were part of a rather infamous incident: Joel Quenneville’s “grabby” gesture during an OT loss to the Blues in which the referees failed to make a delay of game call on St. Louis.
– Pollock has worked over 120 Stanley Cup playoff games in his career and was selected to work the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi; Joannette has called over 100 and worked both the 2008 and 2009 Stanley Cup Finals.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 21
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 19
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 44
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9