May 13, 2014, 11:29 AM EST
The officiating crew has been set for tonight’s Game 7 between the Rangers and Penguins.
Referees Marc Joannette and Kevin Pollock will be calling the action, aided by linesmen Scott Driscoll and Steve Miller. Some notes about tonight’s zebras:
— This is the exact same crew that worked Game 6 of the series, a 3-1 Rangers victory in which the Blueshirts were whistled for six penalties (12 PIM) and the Penguins nine (for 26 PIM). It’s worth noting this was the one featuring the now-infamous Henrik Lundqvist water bottle squirt on Sidney Crosby (which netted Lundqvist a $5,000 fine) and Crosby’s alleged spear and slew foot (on Dominic Moore and Dan Girardi.)
— According to Scouting The Refs, this marks the first time this postseason that a referee crew has worked back-to-back games in a series.
— Earlier in the postseason (Round 1, Chicago vs. St. Louis), Pollock and Joannette were part of a rather infamous incident: Joel Quenneville’s “grabby” gesture during an OT loss to the Blues in which the referees failed to make a delay of game call on St. Louis.
— Pollock has worked over 120 Stanley Cup playoff games in his career and was selected to work the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi; Joannette has called over 100 and worked both the 2008 and 2009 Stanley Cup Finals.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)