May 13, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
The officiating crew has been set for tonight’s Game 7 between the Rangers and Penguins.
Referees Marc Joannette and Kevin Pollock will be calling the action, aided by linesmen Scott Driscoll and Steve Miller. Some notes about tonight’s zebras:
– This is the exact same crew that worked Game 6 of the series, a 3-1 Rangers victory in which the Blueshirts were whistled for six penalties (12 PIM) and the Penguins nine (for 26 PIM). It’s worth noting this was the one featuring the now-infamous Henrik Lundqvist water bottle squirt on Sidney Crosby (which netted Lundqvist a $5,000 fine) and Crosby’s alleged spear and slew foot (on Dominic Moore and Dan Girardi.)
– According to Scouting The Refs, this marks the first time this postseason that a referee crew has worked back-to-back games in a series.
– Earlier in the postseason (Round 1, Chicago vs. St. Louis), Pollock and Joannette were part of a rather infamous incident: Joel Quenneville’s “grabby” gesture during an OT loss to the Blues in which the referees failed to make a delay of game call on St. Louis.
– Pollock has worked over 120 Stanley Cup playoff games in his career and was selected to work the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi; Joannette has called over 100 and worked both the 2008 and 2009 Stanley Cup Finals.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8