May 13, 2014, 6:27 PM EDT
You won’t find many/any irrelevant Game 7’s in high-level sports, but this is a huge one. Especially for a second-round series … and especially for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
They’ve disappointed in recent postseason runs, even if they made the Eastern Conference finals last season. Giving up a 3-1 series lead to the New York Rangers would be a different kind of sensation, one some believe would spell the end of Dan Bylsma’s reign as head coach.
The stakes seem higher for the Penguins on Tuesday, yet the Rangers also eye the end of their season for the fourth time in this postseason (once against Philly and for a third time against Pittsburgh). As much as their image might be improved by putting up a fight, management made some big moves from re-signing Henrik Lundqvist and dealing their former captain and futures for Martin St. Louis. So losing this one will hurt both sides, possibly more than your standard “soul-searching in the summer” fare.
It all shapes up to what could be a fascinating Game 7 even by Game 7 standards, so you can tune in on NBCSN or stream the action via the link below.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)