May 13, 2014, 6:27 PM EST
You won’t find many/any irrelevant Game 7’s in high-level sports, but this is a huge one. Especially for a second-round series … and especially for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
They’ve disappointed in recent postseason runs, even if they made the Eastern Conference finals last season. Giving up a 3-1 series lead to the New York Rangers would be a different kind of sensation, one some believe would spell the end of Dan Bylsma’s reign as head coach.
The stakes seem higher for the Penguins on Tuesday, yet the Rangers also eye the end of their season for the fourth time in this postseason (once against Philly and for a third time against Pittsburgh). As much as their image might be improved by putting up a fight, management made some big moves from re-signing Henrik Lundqvist and dealing their former captain and futures for Martin St. Louis. So losing this one will hurt both sides, possibly more than your standard “soul-searching in the summer” fare.
It all shapes up to what could be a fascinating Game 7 even by Game 7 standards, so you can tune in on NBCSN or stream the action via the link below.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 54
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 69
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (142)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)