May 13, 2014, 6:27 PM EDT
You won’t find many/any irrelevant Game 7’s in high-level sports, but this is a huge one. Especially for a second-round series … and especially for the Pittsburgh Penguins.
They’ve disappointed in recent postseason runs, even if they made the Eastern Conference finals last season. Giving up a 3-1 series lead to the New York Rangers would be a different kind of sensation, one some believe would spell the end of Dan Bylsma’s reign as head coach.
The stakes seem higher for the Penguins on Tuesday, yet the Rangers also eye the end of their season for the fourth time in this postseason (once against Philly and for a third time against Pittsburgh). As much as their image might be improved by putting up a fight, management made some big moves from re-signing Henrik Lundqvist and dealing their former captain and futures for Martin St. Louis. So losing this one will hurt both sides, possibly more than your standard “soul-searching in the summer” fare.
It all shapes up to what could be a fascinating Game 7 even by Game 7 standards, so you can tune in on NBCSN or stream the action via the link below.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 28
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 111
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 79
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (111)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (79)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)