Sutter calls Gibson ‘the best goalie I’ve ever seen’ as smoke billows from the sarcasm detector

May 13, 2014, 1:48 AM EST

Deadpan Darryl is at it again.

Following his club’s third straight loss to Anaheim — and second to rookie phenom John Gibson — Kings head coach Darryl Sutter had some incredibly high praise for the 20-year-old tender which, as several media members pointed out, might’ve been tongue-in-cheek!

Here’s what the scene was believed to look like in real time:

source:

Gibson, who made 39 saves on Monday and has now allowed just three goals on L.A.’s last 70 shots, has clearly made a difference in this series. He seems to be in one of those “doesn’t know any better” zones we’ve seen from youngsters in playoffs past (like Brad Marchand scoring 11 goals and 19 points to help Boston win the Cup in his first-ever postseason, for example.)

Gibson’s also a virtual unknown, so L.A. probably has yet to develop the full book on him. Finally, he’s about as calm and cool a presence as you could want in the playoffs, and seems to give the Ducks the kind of confidence they lacked in Jonas Hiller and Frederik Andersen:

In light of this, it’s a pretty smart/calculated play by Sutter. He makes light of the idea that Gibson’s unbeatable or perhaps in the Kings’ heads and also indirectly calls out Jonathan Quick who, after starting this series by allowing just three goals on 72 shots, has now surrendered nine on his last 57 faced.

L.A. heads back home on Wednesday for a chance to snap its current losing skid at Staples. It’ll be interesting to see how the Kings deal with the best goalie Sutter’s ever seen — especially since they’re now facing elimination for the second time this postseason.

Though to hear Sutter explain it, the Kings aren’t the ones about to feel the heat.

“A lot of pressure on him now,” Sutter said of Gibson, per LA Kings Insider. “A lot of pressure on him.”

1. barkar942 - May 13, 2014 at 2:03 AM

BLOM- WHERE ARE YOU BLOM? BETTER PUT THIS KID GIBSON AT THE TOP OF YOUR GOALIE CHART!
    BLOM! OH BLOM!
    (Note to Bloms Mommy- lock away all sharp utensils for the next four days.)

• dannymac17 - May 13, 2014 at 4:56 AM

really gonna call out blom when ducks fans were non existent through 2 games?
      cmon

at least be sensible. not like blom hopped off the fan wagon like 90% of ducks fans everywhere in existence.

• gret9 - May 13, 2014 at 8:42 AM

I may be wrong, but I do believe Blom disappeared for a while when LA was down 0-3 to the Sharks.

• asimonetti88 - May 13, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Gibson has been a real boost. I’m excited to see what he can do. He’s so young, he has a bright future.

• blomfeld - May 13, 2014 at 11:36 AM

RIGHT WHERE WE WANT ‘EM !!! :)

Talk about setting up another bunch of fools for this biggest shock of their lives eh ? Dare we say … “come hither my little Duckie (Sharkie) friend” ? You just gotta love it man ! :)

TIME TO WASTE SOME QUACKS !!! … GO KINGS GO !!! … GOOD TIMES !!! :)

ps: Barkar, so you’re like a ‘tough’ guy eh ? … well that’s good, real good in fact … because you people are gonna look awfully stupid if you don’t close this thing out now eh ? :)

• sharksman - May 13, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Look as much as I don’t like all of Blom’s posts he has been around and he himself has admitted he does not post after a loss soooooo….. Just throwin that out there. As for sutter this is about normal. Remember how everyone from the kings was so down an out after the first 3 games against my sharks… and look at how that turned out
      Its not over yet

• cyggyx1 - May 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM

wow, a guppy and queen fan at the same time…You Do realize there can only be One……..

Recall This: Anaheim Ducks Bring FIRST EVER Stanley Cup Championship To CALIFORNIA

muuuha muuuhahaha muuuuahahahahahahaha

• sharksman - May 14, 2014 at 2:50 PM

uh ok , wow I feel so ashamed you really got me with your choice of words. Is that supposed to be laughter or are you blowing kisses

2. charlieconway96 - May 13, 2014 at 2:56 AM

Dear Jonathan Quick, on behalf of all Kings fans I’d like to ask you to wake up sometime in the next 48 hours. Also, Jake Muzzin looks like a lost puppy out there most of the time, not to give any Ducks fans with glass seats ideas, but someone may want to draw up a lost puppy ad to put up in Staples center.

• charlieconway96 - May 13, 2014 at 2:57 AM

Sorry fellow Kings fans, sometimes the frustration is just too great and one must go to the internets to voice their sorrows.

• dannymac17 - May 13, 2014 at 4:58 AM

Being a ducks fan, you have to look down deep for wins. like bombay, n whatnot

• patthehockeyfan - May 13, 2014 at 7:01 AM

The one thing I thought different from San Jose fans is that Kings’ fans didn’t throw our team under the bus, especially after being down 3 – 0 in the SJ series. No offense to Sharks’ fans; but, these board were full of their complaints about their team – even before they lost the series.

I applauded Kings’ fans – that is, until I read your remarks.

Because Muzzin isn’t as dominant a player (or as flashy, and I mean in a good way) as Doughty, he’s played solid, and better than I’ve seen him play all year. He blew a tire, and the Ducks scored their first goal. Bad ice, maybe – they’ve been talking about the temps in SoCal throughout this series. Or, maybe he just blew a tire.

Anaheim isn’t first in their division because they’re a poor team. After games 1 and 2, these are the Ducks I expected to see. And, it doesn’t help having that phenom, John Gibson, in their net.

Kings in 7.

GKG!!!

• blomfeld - May 13, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Take it easy Charles …

we’ve now got these fools ‘exactly’ where we want them, trust me ! :)

____________________________________________________

“YES, THEY’VE TAKEN THE BAIT !”

*** on the quarter deck aboard HMS Surprise somewhere in the Pacific ***

Captain Blomfeld: right lads, the duck appears to have taken the bait … so every man to his station with ‘quick’ being the word and ‘sharp’ being the eye … we’ve managed to draw this duck in close and so now it’s time we turn him into dinner !

Crew Members: hurrah ! .. hurrah ! .. hurrah ! :) :) :)

GO KINGS GO !!! … TODAY, TOMORROW AND FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• imleftcoast - May 13, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Dear Darryl Sutter, if your system doesn’t work unless your goalie is lights out, admit you are a know-nothing schmuck, and be appreciative that you are lucky enough to have the best goalie in the league. I’m sick of watching the Kings, and hearing about Darryl’s sideshow. He’s gotten too much credit for too long. Game is passing him bye.

• kingsfan93 - May 13, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Dear IMLEFTCOAST – You are a complete tool. Unless you actually know what you are talking about, then I give you credit, but you don’t.

Darryl Sutter has been to the Stanley Cup Finals TWICE and won a Stanley Cup with the Kings.

“Kings goalie needs to be lights out” you say. Well J. Quick has been one of the very few putting on his working boots. So as for the others that play in front of J. Quick should put on their working boots, too and play lights out if they wanna win.

Also, sorry if Kings are not putting in three different goalies in a playoff series and just knowing the Kings have a solid steady goalie in J. Quick.

Because if you ask ME, the Kings in the 4 of 5 games played in this series against the Ducks have not been the type of Kings team that has shown what they can do. They have NOT shown any real puck possession or offensive pressure. This team also looks like they are out of gas due to all the games they’ve played over the last couple to few years worth.

But whatever it is, it is what it is.

I believe in this team for sure, still. After all the Kings have won the Stanley Cup in 2012 and has shown the character from the SJ Sharks series after being down 3-0.

So don’t count the Kings out just yet.

Us Kings fans stick by out team through bad & good, unlike the bandwagon Ducks fans. It looks like on television that there is a bunch of empty seats there.

GO KINGS GO!!!

• imleftcoast - May 13, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Dear kingsfan, you are a complete tool. #1 – It’s a subjective opinion. #2 – point was the game is passing Sutter by so posting his resume is not a comeback. #3 – Quick is awesome. #4 – your team is less interesting to watch than a pile of steaming poop.

Go Ducks. Do us all a favorite, and eliminate the most boring team in the league.

• cyggyx1 - May 13, 2014 at 10:37 PM

KingsFan. 17,233, I believe that’s about Capacity.

Sutter is just getting out coached. Bruce made the adjustments and now we see 3 in a row bearing that fruit.

Game 1 could have gone either way. So really the Ducks could have already sent the queens home to weep in their pillows, if not for a few frantic moments in time.

3. LampyB - May 13, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Kings in 7!

4. csilojohnson - May 13, 2014 at 7:41 AM

Beach ball Quick?

• kingsfan93 - May 13, 2014 at 11:40 AM

That is the only saves Hiller can only make. Why you sorry bandwagon Ducks fans think he doesn’t play for.

• areaman714 - May 13, 2014 at 6:24 PM

What?

5. sjsharksfan11 - May 13, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Blomfeld has 3 different accounts he posts under for those of you looking for him. One of the popular ones being patthehockeyfan. Aside from that I credit the Ducks scouting. They always find and draft great goaltenders.

• patthehockeyfan - May 13, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Know what? You’re absolutely nuts. You and anyone else who thinks that blomfeld and I are the same. For chrissakes! I’m a woman living in Baltimore. Blomfeld, according to his posts, is a 54-year-old man living in Vancouver, BC.

And, frankly, I’m not a fan of blomfeld, you d!psh!t. If you’ve read any my posts, I’ve been nothing but respectful of Sharks’ fans (ask sjsharks66), and of the Ducks. Blomfeld, on the other hand, isn’t.

Can’t you find some better use of your time than spreading this idiocy?

• imleftcoast - May 13, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Now you sound like joey4id

• patthehockeyfan - May 13, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Ok, leftcoast. I’m thinking that’s a joke.

Blomfeld and joey have some Batman & Robin, or George H.W. Bush & Dan Quayle thing together. I don’t know if they’re the same person; but, it’s stupid to assume that blomfeld and I are just because we both are Kings’ fans and post on a lot of the same stories.

Joey? No way. Not a fan of his either.

• joey4id - May 13, 2014 at 9:35 AM

imleftcoast, Know what? You’re absolutely nuts. You and anyone else who thinks that blomfeld or patthehockeyfan and I are the same. For chrissakes! I’m a man living near Montreal. Blomfeld, according to his posts, is a 54-year-old man living in Vancouver, BC and patthehockeyfan is a woman living in Baltimore.

And, frankly, I’m a fan of patthehockeyfan and blomfeld, you d!psh!t. If you’ve read any my posts, I’ve been nothing but objective in all my posts favoring no team in particular Blomfeld, on the other hand, clearly favors the Kings.

Can’t you find some better use of your time than spreading this idiocy? :-)

• barkar942 - May 13, 2014 at 9:48 AM

HAHAHAHA! Great posts, guys (and gal)!

• blomfeld - May 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Imleftcoast – Know what? You’re absolutely nuts! Yes sir, you and anyone else who thinks that Joey, Patthehockeyfan and I are all the same person. For the sake of sweet Jesus ! Look, I’m a very nice man living in Vancouver, Joey according to his posts is a very nice man living near Montreal and Patthehockeyfan is a very nice woman living in Baltimore.

And quite frankly, I happen to be a fan of both Patthehockeyfan and Joey, you ‘filthy’ excrement! If you’ve read any of my posts, then you’ll have noticed that I’ve been nothing but ‘objective’ in all my posts, with perhaps a ‘slight’ bias towards the Kings on occasion? Patthehockeyfan on the other hand clearly favors the Kings and Joey supports analytics and numerous other ‘cutting edge’ disciplines.

Can’t you find some better use of your time than spreading this idiocy?

• sharksman - May 13, 2014 at 11:52 AM

You get him lol
        as for your previous comment about sharks fans
        some of us are good people (just like some kings fans)
        you cant lump us all together and if you recall I never complained till the end lol
        some people are idiots no matter who they root for
        and some people get new accounts when their team looses lol
        I bleed teal and I need a transfusion lol

• r8rbhawk - May 13, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Every time I think I have read the funniest discussion of the year and comment on it, not a few days go by that something funnier occurs. Hats off to the PHT commentors for continuing to “bring it” day by day.

• imleftcoast - May 13, 2014 at 12:58 PM

I was just kidding Pat and Joey. No offense intended, just thought that would be a funny response.

• joey4id - May 13, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Blomfeld (aka Batman, Robin, H.W. Bush Dan Quayle), your comedic timing and reply are spot on. Now we’ll see if Pat The Hockey Fan (aka woman from Baltimore) can play. She does sound like a very nice woman living in Baltimore. Go Orioles! Go Colts! I mean Ravens. I believe she studied journalism. Smart woman indeed.

• blomfeld - May 13, 2014 at 3:23 PM

““Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we” … George W Bush

• cyggyx1 - May 13, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Blomfeld, really, I come here to bust balls and have a laugh. Something to forget the politics and crap of the world. I respectfully ask that you, if you must, just stick with elvis or whatever. Leave the politicians to cnn. cmon you 54 year old woman from vanvouver baltimore.

• cyggyx1 - May 14, 2014 at 3:58 AM

left coast, don’t let em sway you, Blomfelcher does have at least 5 accounts here. He’s definitely suffering from O.M.P.D or online multiple personality disorder, accompanied by delusions of grandeur and a constant need for attention. He hates to be ignored, so he creates alias personalities to give the appearance that he’s being accepted and responded to. He rarely speaks actual hockey and tries to cover for it with lame attempts at humor and video’s that nobody watches. Most likely he resides in the shed out back at his only friends house, the friend that just plain feels sorry for him. Finally, I’m pretty sure his fascination with Elvis is sexual in nature…….

6. wishingtonredslur - May 13, 2014 at 10:33 AM

So you’re a woman eh:)

• patthehockeyfan - May 13, 2014 at 10:39 AM

all my life

7. suesawicki2000 - May 13, 2014 at 11:30 AM

I am so tired of seeing posts of “bandwagoner”, if a Kings fan posts anything but praise for the team. When we see sloppy play, we are disappointed, frustrated and sometimes just down right mad, that they are playing like that, especially when we know they are capable of a lot better.

I have been to every home game and playoff game this season. When I see the team go back to the same “old school” way of playing, where it’s the same routine, getting nowhere, and I a fan, sitting in the stands, can predict the plays, there is something wrong. And yes, it’s frustrating. And yes, I ask why did Sutter change the line up, or why aren’t they doing what we have seen in the winning games. It doesn’t mean I am a “bandwagoner”, it means I am a true fan, who watches every move, and only wishes the best for my team. GO KINGS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JUST DO IT.

8. flash8910 - May 13, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Darryl Sutter is the greatest coach that I have ever seen. I mean he has all those Stanley Cup rings. His record is undeniable. Success followed him to Chicago, San Jose, Calgary and LA. Players like Kiprusoff and Quick are lucky that they were able to play for a coach like him. Otherwise, their careers in the NHL would have been much shorter.

9. bullwinkle88 - May 13, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Sutter is priceless. I wish we had other coaches with his style.

10. Capt Jam - May 13, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Meanwhile, the knuckleheads who cover this great sport are missing the fact that the Kings have set themselves up to capture the series in the same manner they overtook San Jose. There will be a Game 7.

11. 33to22 - May 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM

“Gibson is a virtual unknown” ???
    Not to hockey fans he isn’t.

Funny quote by Sutter, though. He may just be my favourite King (#11 ain’t too bad either).

Go Habs, Go Ducks, Go Wild.

12. modcoop - May 13, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Los Angeles Kings fan since 1967, NHL fan and hockey fan in general since 1966, hockey memorabilia collector and historian for about 41 years. Suffice to say we are devout puck worshipers and hockey is the one true recognized religion practiced in my house.
    I find this thread very amusing because it initially was about the Kings and the Ducks and then it turned into a game of smack talk involving teams not even still playing in the playoffs anymore if they even made them to begin with.

Has the game passed Darryl Sutter by? Probably! I question some of his line changes, especially our forwards. I question his use or lack of use of Toffoli/Pearson/Vey. His management of the players has probably been subpar, especially with Toffoli/Pearson simply because they aren’t going to get experience or learn as quickly if they are not playing when they are up, and you already know they have grown above and beyond the skill and speed on the AHL.
    I also would have liked to have seen more of AMART this past season, as opposed to Muzzin, just because Martinez had more experience than Muzzin in the NHL.
    When I see someone or hear someone call another person a “fake” or “bandwagon” fan, I take a serious exception to this. Who the hell gave you any sort of authority to label anyone anything? Where do you get off judging someone, or questioning their loyalty just because they are not happy with the way the team they support, or a specific player is performing?
    Who are you to think, or speak on behalf of “the supporters” if a person is critical, or even makes a perfectly reasonable remark about the way a team, or a member of that team is playing?
    To say the Kings have played well these past 3 games would be a for lack of a better word, a denial!
    The Kings have been sloppy to say the least, and this goes for everyone who have been playing for the Kings.
    Matt Greene has been absolutely hideous on defense. Greene shouldn’t even be dressing because he hurts this team. Greene is no longer the same Matt Greene from a few years ago. He has missed far too many games these past 3 seasons due to injuries, and he is no longer strong enough to battle effectively in front of the net. He has been burned repeatedly because he is just not quick enough to keep up with guys he would have been able to neutralized a few seasons ago. Greene is a warrior, but he has just had far too many physical issues, which have really exposed him.
    Sutter putting Martinez with Greene would have been fine 3 seasons ago, but today, Greene should not be playing if he is not able to help the defense.
    I have no idea what the heck Martinez was thinking last night when he pretty much gifted Anaheim a goal when making a pass to whoever it was on the side board. Plays like this are why Sutter had scratched AMART for as many games as he did. That was a complete boneheaded play by AMART, no excuse for it. AMART and his penalties have also killed the Kings because the Ducks are scoring on their PP.
    Doughty is trying to do way too much, that he is getting himself caught too far up ice, and the F3 coverage is not making up for his end to end rushes which lead to Anaheim coming back with out numbered attacks on Quick.
    Muzzin has been getting better since the beginning of the season, but he can still get jumpy when pressured in the defensive zone, which lead to him making an ill advised pass or coughing the puck up for a prime scoring chance for the Ducks.
    Quick can only do so much, but even Quick is looking like he is trying too hard and can get out of position. He needs his defense to box out, tie up a stick, be aware of who is on the ice and communicate. Too many open looks being gifted to Anaheim.
    Our Top 6 need to step it up. So far Gaborik has been doing what he was brought in to do score goals. Kopitar is sometimes the old Kopitar, and sometimes the Kopitar who isn’t thinking shot first, wasting a good scoring chance because he is waiting for a wing to pass the puck to. Kopitar needs to become greedy and shoot the puck more. He needs a shot first mentality.
    Sutter needs to keep Toffoli and Pearson with Carter. The 70’s line was fine until Sutter started to tinker with it. I get it, trying to get more balanced scoring, but if Toffoli/Carter/Pearson are effective then leave them along and let them become that same line that had good chemistry and was effective.
    Justin Williams is trying his best, often looking like a pinball out there the way he bounces off checks, or is trying to get some of that grease back into his game.
    Dustin Brown, calling Dustin Brown! Pretty bad season and with his pay raise and the length of his new deal, I hope this season is due to his knee, otherwise what are you going to do with him? If it is his knee, he already tried rehab, it might be time to have surgery.
    Mike Richards another significant contract with many years still left, but the question is how much does Richards have left? He has been below average all season, and I think he has seen better days and his history of concussions has really started to impact his overall game. He is someone that Lombardi might have to seriously think about buying out.
    Dwight King started out great on the 2nd line this season, but then Dwight King went away and hasn’t returned. He is way too big a guy to not be a physical, power forward. He has no mean in him, and this really frustrates me when I watch him out there. We have seen him use his size in the past, but he has abandoned that part of his game. Is he worth re-signing? IMO no!
    Losing Mitchell/Regehr/and I’ll even throw in Scuderi has really hurt this team on the blue line. Looking at Manchester and some of the drafting and trades Lombardi has done, I hope McNabb can step up next season, because the Kings need a big guy on the blue line, and he’s a left shot with a cannon of a slap shot. Forbort from what I am hearing not ready yet, Gravel just left St. Cloud State, and they have Colin Miller but if Mitchell retires, and Matt Greene has to go on LTIR if he remains a King, and assuming Regehr is back are still going to have some significant needs on defense.
    Finally to the Sharks fans, go ahead and rip the Kings! Just remember your season ended in the 1st round after you had a 3-0 series lead. Your GM felt the team he had was one of the best ever yet once again you choked, and not a little choke, a huge choke, which is a joke like your team is.
    Game 6 tomorrow hope to see those real fans, fake fans and bandwagon fans cheering for the Kings to force a game 7. I know there are 2 teams who wish they were still playing and one is in NorCal the other in BC, and they can hate all they want because they are just jealous. By now both franchises should be used to this anyway.
    Besides is Vancouver were still playing and lost they would start riots, setting things on fire, looting stores, flipping over cars just like they did when they lost to Boston.
    I don’t know what the Sharks would do in an elimination game, since they have never won anything more than a Presidents trophy, and last I checked you don’t get your name individually engraved on that trophy. Good thing they signed Jumbo and Marleau. Maybe you can get Larry Robinson to come out of retirement to help add to the seniority of the Sharks. At least Larry won something!
    I don’t hate the Ducks, so I have nothing to say but good luck!

• suesawicki2000 - May 13, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Exactly. You said it so much better, and in more detail then I did above. Couldn’t agree more. Thank You!!!!

• cyggyx1 - May 13, 2014 at 10:48 PM

I thumbed you down just for length alone. C’mon it’s hockey, my attention span is short.. ;)

13. areaman714 - May 13, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Want incontrovertible evidence that the Kings fans have bailed on their team? Go to Stub Hub and see how many and how cheaply tickets are going for for tomorrow’s game. Keep in mind, many have already been gobbled up by Ducks fans.

• suesawicki2000 - May 14, 2014 at 12:48 AM

Staples Center has been sold out every game, including the playoffs this whole season. Honda Center holds over 18,338 and last night’s game they announced the attendance was 17,000. Last season Ducks couldn’t even get a sell out. So you sure you really want to compare fans?

Tickets on stub hub, are already sold tickets, where for whatever reason, (usually profit) owners are selling the tickets.

• areaman714 - May 14, 2014 at 2:38 AM

For hockey, the Ponda holds around17250; the announced attendance was more than that (I was there) . . . and you obviously missed my entire point. . .

• suesawicki2000 - May 14, 2014 at 3:15 PM

areaman- That’s funny, because if you look up info on Honda Center, for Hockey it states there are 18,338. Guess they are wrong, you are right.

• areaman714 - May 14, 2014 at 5:35 PM

That figure is for basketball games. The most attended Ducks game was against the Hawks in 2013; 17,600+ people there. That was at 102% capacity. I will not spoon feed this to you any further.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches