May 13, 2014, 1:48 AM EST
Deadpan Darryl is at it again.
Following his club’s third straight loss to Anaheim — and second to rookie phenom John Gibson — Kings head coach Darryl Sutter had some incredibly high praise for the 20-year-old tender which, as several media members pointed out, might’ve been tongue-in-cheek!
Sarcastic Sutter, on John Gibson: “He’s the best goalie I’ve ever seen. I can’t believe we got one by him.”
— Rich Hammond (@Rich_Hammond) May 13, 2014
Darryl Sutter on Gibson in sarcasm font: “He’s the best goalie I’ve ever seen. I can’t believe we got one by him tonight.”
— Greg Beacham (@gregbeacham) May 13, 2014
On John Gibson, Sutter sarcastically says “He’s the best goalie I’ve ever seen. I don’t know how we ever got one past him tonight.”
— Abbey Mastracco (@AbbeyMastracco) May 13, 2014
Here’s what the scene was believed to look like in real time:
Gibson, who made 39 saves on Monday and has now allowed just three goals on L.A.’s last 70 shots, has clearly made a difference in this series. He seems to be in one of those “doesn’t know any better” zones we’ve seen from youngsters in playoffs past (like Brad Marchand scoring 11 goals and 19 points to help Boston win the Cup in his first-ever postseason, for example.)
Gibson’s also a virtual unknown, so L.A. probably has yet to develop the full book on him. Finally, he’s about as calm and cool a presence as you could want in the playoffs, and seems to give the Ducks the kind of confidence they lacked in Jonas Hiller and Frederik Andersen:
In light of this, it’s a pretty smart/calculated play by Sutter. He makes light of the idea that Gibson’s unbeatable or perhaps in the Kings’ heads and also indirectly calls out Jonathan Quick who, after starting this series by allowing just three goals on 72 shots, has now surrendered nine on his last 57 faced.
L.A. heads back home on Wednesday for a chance to snap its current losing skid at Staples. It’ll be interesting to see how the Kings deal with the best goalie Sutter’s ever seen — especially since they’re now facing elimination for the second time this postseason.
Though to hear Sutter explain it, the Kings aren’t the ones about to feel the heat.
“A lot of pressure on him now,” Sutter said of Gibson, per LA Kings Insider. “A lot of pressure on him.”
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (120)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)