May 13, 2014, 9:19 AM EST
It didn’t take Kirk Muller long to land back on his feet.
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Muller has signed a two-year deal to be an assistant coach under Ken Hitchcock with the St. Louis Blues. Muller was only out of work for eight days as he was fired as head coach of the Carolina Hurricanes on May 5. In three seasons as the Hurricanes coach, he had a 80-80-27 record.
Muller is familiar with Hitchcock as he played for him with the Dallas Stars in the final four years of his playing career and was a key veteran on the Stars’ Stanley Cup Final team in 2000.
Muller joins a Blues coaching staff that already includes Brad Shaw and Ray Bennett. Another set of eyes never really hurt anyone and he has served as an assistant once before with the Montreal Canadiens back in 2006.
Update: It’s official.
‘We are excited to add Kirk to our staff,” said GM Doug Armstrong in a release. “He was a Stanley Cup-winning player, and as a coach, has shown excellent communication skills, and the ability to relate to both young and veteran players.”
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 46
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)