May 13, 2014, 9:19 AM EDT
It didn’t take Kirk Muller long to land back on his feet.
According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Muller has signed a two-year deal to be an assistant coach under Ken Hitchcock with the St. Louis Blues. Muller was only out of work for eight days as he was fired as head coach of the Carolina Hurricanes on May 5. In three seasons as the Hurricanes coach, he had a 80-80-27 record.
Muller is familiar with Hitchcock as he played for him with the Dallas Stars in the final four years of his playing career and was a key veteran on the Stars’ Stanley Cup Final team in 2000.
Muller joins a Blues coaching staff that already includes Brad Shaw and Ray Bennett. Another set of eyes never really hurt anyone and he has served as an assistant once before with the Montreal Canadiens back in 2006.
Update: It’s official.
‘We are excited to add Kirk to our staff,” said GM Doug Armstrong in a release. “He was a Stanley Cup-winning player, and as a coach, has shown excellent communication skills, and the ability to relate to both young and veteran players.”
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)