May 13, 2014, 10:38 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have seen enough postseasons end with crushing defeat that it’s difficult to shake the feeling that there will be big changes following their Game 7 loss to the New York Rangers. Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma seemed to acknowledge the thought, even if he indicates that he hasn’t fully processed what that can mean.
Aside from Marc-Andre Fleury (who enters a contract year in 2014-15), firing Bylsma is the easiest radical change to make. The likes of Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Kris Letang are locked up for the long-term and shoulder among the largest burdens of any players in the league (especially Crosby and Malkin).
The Penguins organization weathered the storm of criticism after the Boston Bruins managed a sweep in the 2013 Eastern Conference finals, yet that might not pass this time around. While GM Ray Shero probably needs to sweat a little bit himself, Bylsma seems like the most obvious guy on the hot seat right now.
So, in your opinion, should the Penguins part ways with Bylsma?
For what it’s worth, Keith Jones and Jeremy Roenick agreed that Bylsma should go in the event of a loss when asked during Game 7’s second intermission report:
- Report: Lightning prospect Jonathan Drouin out with upper body injury 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 10
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)