May 13, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are trying to win their first Game 7 since 2009. While you’d think having home ice advantage would give the Pens a reason to be comfortable, sometimes you have to do things different to change your focus.
As Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review shares, the Penguins spent the night in a Pittsburgh-area hotel to create a road-like atmosphere to prepare for tonight’s game.
In the series against the New York Rangers, the Penguins are 1-2 at CONSOL Energy Center and they have a 10-11 record all-time in the playoffs at their home arena. Even against the Columbus Blue Jackets in the first round the Penguins dropped a game at home before ending that series in six games.
Staying in a hotel at home isn’t an uncommon tactic. Many teams have done this in the past during the Stanley Cup Final in order to cut out the distractions of home to focus more on the game. There could be a lot more than playoff survival on the line in Game 7 for Pittsburgh. Finding the best way to prepare can’t hurt.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 0
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 47
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 5
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 39
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)