May 13, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are trying to win their first Game 7 since 2009. While you’d think having home ice advantage would give the Pens a reason to be comfortable, sometimes you have to do things different to change your focus.
As Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review shares, the Penguins spent the night in a Pittsburgh-area hotel to create a road-like atmosphere to prepare for tonight’s game.
In the series against the New York Rangers, the Penguins are 1-2 at CONSOL Energy Center and they have a 10-11 record all-time in the playoffs at their home arena. Even against the Columbus Blue Jackets in the first round the Penguins dropped a game at home before ending that series in six games.
Staying in a hotel at home isn’t an uncommon tactic. Many teams have done this in the past during the Stanley Cup Final in order to cut out the distractions of home to focus more on the game. There could be a lot more than playoff survival on the line in Game 7 for Pittsburgh. Finding the best way to prepare can’t hurt.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)