May 13, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are trying to win their first Game 7 since 2009. While you’d think having home ice advantage would give the Pens a reason to be comfortable, sometimes you have to do things different to change your focus.
As Rob Rossi of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review shares, the Penguins spent the night in a Pittsburgh-area hotel to create a road-like atmosphere to prepare for tonight’s game.
In the series against the New York Rangers, the Penguins are 1-2 at CONSOL Energy Center and they have a 10-11 record all-time in the playoffs at their home arena. Even against the Columbus Blue Jackets in the first round the Penguins dropped a game at home before ending that series in six games.
Staying in a hotel at home isn’t an uncommon tactic. Many teams have done this in the past during the Stanley Cup Final in order to cut out the distractions of home to focus more on the game. There could be a lot more than playoff survival on the line in Game 7 for Pittsburgh. Finding the best way to prepare can’t hurt.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)