May 13, 2014, 11:36 AM EDT
From the Associated Press:
And now coach Dan Bylsma finds himself 60 minutes away from either taking the Penguins back to the conference finals for the third time in six years or possibly looking for work.
From The Tennessean:
The coach is almost always the fall guy, and since Dan Bylsma took over in 2009, he has won just one Stanley Cup with superstars Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin – and been to just one Stanley Cup Final, the one in 2009.
From the Globe and Mail:
A win Tuesday night in Game 7 of their second-round NHL playoff series against the New York Rangers means head coach Dan Bylsma and his confounding players can turn to management and say, “Hey, now we’re in our fourth conference final in the last six years. We must be great.”
A loss, though, means owners Mario Lemieux and Ron Burkle look at general manager Ray Shero and say, “This is the fifth consecutive year your team was knocked out of the playoffs by a lower-seeded opponent. Tell us why you, Bylsma and most of the players should not be sacked.”
… if the Penguins lose tonight, it will be the fifth consecutive year they will have been eliminated from the playoffs by a lower seed. They will be just 4-5 in postseason series since they won the Stanley Cup in 2009 under Bylsma. This elimination, should it happen, will hurt more than most because the Penguins had what seemed to be a secure 3-1 series edge.
No ownership can be expected to put up with that underachievement.
You get the picture. If the Penguins lose tonight, it’s expected that head coach Dan Bylsma will be fired.
Not that there’s any hard evidence to support that expectation; just a lot of whispers and speculation, combined with Pittsburgh’s multiple postseason disappointments since Bylsma led the Pens to a championship in 2009.
It’s not new, the speculation.
“I’m not coaching, don’t coach, have never coached for my job,” Bylsma said almost a year ago, right before his Pens were swept by Boston in the Eastern Conference Final, with Pittsburgh scoring just two goals in the four games against the Bruins.
And by “at least,” if you believe the speculation, we mean “only.”
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Somehow the latter fight didn’t leave a crater in the ice.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars get the extra point.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Injuries continue to … strike Tampa Bay.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Update: Vladislav Namestnikov was credited with the last goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
On the bright side, Michael Grabner may resume skating soon.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Unfortunately, Tampa Bay might face another injury in J.T. Brown.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
They send their 2014 first-rounder to the OHL.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Tough times lately for St. Louis.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Speaking from experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
All the news and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”
Oct 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
“Everybody understands the system, everybody knows what we expect.”
Oct 24, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
“We’ve got to do our research here and come up with the best solution we can.”
Oct 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
They’re back at it in Edmonton tonight.
Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’
Oct 24, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
Denials from NHL and Coyotes.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 18
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)