May 13, 2014, 1:28 AM EST
Max Pacioretty has been with the Canadiens since 2008 and seen plenty of games, but none of them top Monday’s big 4-0 win over Boston in Game 6 of their second-round series.
“It was definitely the first time in this series that we controlled the pace of the game,” Pacioretty said, per the Montreal Gazette. “That’s the best I’ve seen this team play — ever — since I started wearing this uniform.
“When you use our speed it’s so frustrating for a team to play against us.”
The Habs certainly looked the faster team in Game 6, and Pacioretty had plenty to do with that. The NHL’s fourth-leading goalscorer this year — with 39 — Pacioretty failed to find the back of the net once in the first five games of the series and had come under fire for his lack of production, especially since he was a virtual non-factor in last year’s opening-round loss to Ottawa and had just two points in this year’s Round 1 sweep of Tampa Bay.
Tonight, though, “Patch” broke through.
The most telling example of his improved play — and Montreal’s speed, too — came on his goal, when he outraced Zdeno Chara for a loose puck:
Following the game, Pacioretty decided to have a little fun at the media’s expense. He, along with teammate P.K. Subban, sounded both excited and supremely confident heading into Wednesday’s Game 7 in Boston, and Pacioretty opted to express that to reporters.
“I read every article written about me and it taught me how to score,” Pacioretty said. “That was the difference tonight.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)