May 13, 2014, 1:28 AM EDT
Max Pacioretty has been with the Canadiens since 2008 and seen plenty of games, but none of them top Monday’s big 4-0 win over Boston in Game 6 of their second-round series.
“It was definitely the first time in this series that we controlled the pace of the game,” Pacioretty said, per the Montreal Gazette. “That’s the best I’ve seen this team play — ever — since I started wearing this uniform.
“When you use our speed it’s so frustrating for a team to play against us.”
The Habs certainly looked the faster team in Game 6, and Pacioretty had plenty to do with that. The NHL’s fourth-leading goalscorer this year — with 39 — Pacioretty failed to find the back of the net once in the first five games of the series and had come under fire for his lack of production, especially since he was a virtual non-factor in last year’s opening-round loss to Ottawa and had just two points in this year’s Round 1 sweep of Tampa Bay.
Tonight, though, “Patch” broke through.
The most telling example of his improved play — and Montreal’s speed, too — came on his goal, when he outraced Zdeno Chara for a loose puck:
Following the game, Pacioretty decided to have a little fun at the media’s expense. He, along with teammate P.K. Subban, sounded both excited and supremely confident heading into Wednesday’s Game 7 in Boston, and Pacioretty opted to express that to reporters.
“I read every article written about me and it taught me how to score,” Pacioretty said. “That was the difference tonight.”
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 17
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)