May 13, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
Unlike head coach Randy Carlyle, Scott Gordon didn’t survive the disastrous collapse of the 2013-14 Toronto Maple Leafs.
His job didn’t survive it, we mean. Gordon’s still breathing. But he — along with Carlyle’s two other assistants, Dave Farrish and Greg Cronin — were relieved of their duties.
In a lengthy interview with the Globe and Mail, Gordon spoke about the trouble Toronto’s coaching staff had convincing the Leafs to play the way they were being taught, and also to avoid complacency.
“It’s not that our guys weren’t capable of it,” he said. “They showed it last year, and the majority of them were here. … As coaches we tried to address it and get the players to understand what we saw, but at the end of the day, they’ve got to go out and play. And it just didn’t click all of the time.”
Gordon isn’t overly critical of anyone in the published interview, but it’s still interesting to hear insider tidbits like, “There’s this perception that Randy doesn’t like Jake Gardiner, and it’s comical,” because there definitely is a perception that Carlyle doesn’t like Gardiner (and vice-versa), and many believe the coach is the reason the young defenseman could be traded.
But in fact, according to Gordon, “I can’t tell you how many times that Randy has said that the thought of trading Jake can’t even be discussed until he’s played 300 games.”
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (47)