May 12, 2014, 9:16 PM EST
Anaheim Ducks coach Bruce Boudreau hasn’t been afraid to take risks when it comes to his goaltending in the playoffs and it paid off big on Saturday.
With Los Angeles up 2-1 in the second round series, Anaheim turned to 20-year-old goaltender John Gibson, who is highly regarded, but had all of three games worth of NHL experience to that point. He stood tall against the Kings though, stopping all 28 shots he faced en route to a 2-0 victory.
So what can he do for an encore? He’ll get to play at home tonight, but the road team has won every game in this matchup so far.
“I know he’s calm and cool or whatever, but it’s our job to make his job a lot harder,” Kings forward Mike Richards said. “It’s a tough situation that he’s put in, with [Saturday] night maybe, possibly, their season on the line.
“It’s now a best-of-three series, so it’s a lot of pressure to put on a young kid.”
Game 5 will start at 10:00 p.m. ET and air on NBCSN. You can also stream it live:
- In praise of the Hamburglar 7
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 9
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)