May 12, 2014, 11:33 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks came out flying to start the second period of tonight’s Game 5 against Los Angeles, scoring twice in a span of 1:23 to stake out a 3-1 lead at the Honda Center.
The first came courtesy Mathieu Perreault, who drew back into the lineup tonight after missing Game 4 with lower-body ailment:
It was Perreault’s first goal — and first point — of the series. He’d been held off the sheet entirely since registering two points in a win over Dallas in Game 5 of the opening round.
The Ducks weren’t done with Perreault’s goal, however. Less than 90 seconds later, Devante Smith-Pelly scored his fourth of the postseason — and second in as many games — taking a nice Ryan Getzlaf flip pass to deposit past Jonathan Quick:
The Ducks would go on to add a fourth goal midway through the period when Jakob Silfverberg put one past Quick. The way things are going, we could see the home team win a game for the first time in this series.
Update: The Perreault goal has since been given to Smith-Pelly as well.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)