May 12, 2014, 11:33 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks came out flying to start the second period of tonight’s Game 5 against Los Angeles, scoring twice in a span of 1:23 to stake out a 3-1 lead at the Honda Center.
The first came courtesy Mathieu Perreault, who drew back into the lineup tonight after missing Game 4 with lower-body ailment:
It was Perreault’s first goal — and first point — of the series. He’d been held off the sheet entirely since registering two points in a win over Dallas in Game 5 of the opening round.
The Ducks weren’t done with Perreault’s goal, however. Less than 90 seconds later, Devante Smith-Pelly scored his fourth of the postseason — and second in as many games — taking a nice Ryan Getzlaf flip pass to deposit past Jonathan Quick:
The Ducks would go on to add a fourth goal midway through the period when Jakob Silfverberg put one past Quick. The way things are going, we could see the home team win a game for the first time in this series.
Update: The Perreault goal has since been given to Smith-Pelly as well.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)