May 12, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
Former Nashville Predators bench boss Barry Trotz is excited about the prospect of coaching a new team and it sounds like there are multiple suitors out there, but that doesn’t mean he’ll find a new home in the near future.
“I don’t expect anything to happen or really to get going until the end of this month and the first part of June,” Trotz told the Washington Post.
Why? Well, take the Washington Capitals for example. Trotz confirmed that they have reached out to him and there’s some mutual interest, but Washington wants to hire a new general manager first so that he can have the final say on the coaching vacancy.
Trotz also spoke about his interest in the Canucks, per the Metro News, but the situation is the same in Vancouver. It’s probably not coincidental that new Canucks president Trevor Linden said that he wants to hire a new general manager by the end of the month.
Both teams have significant offensive talent, which might concern some due to Trotz’s label as a defensive-minded coach. He recently argued against that perspective and did so again today.
“I think I’m very adaptable. When we had Paul Kariya for a couple years and we were a little deeper at forward we were a pretty high scoring team,” Trotz said. “I’ve played a number of different systems based on our personnel but I like the personnel to dictate the strength.”
The Florida Panthers and Carolina Hurricanes have also been listed as potential destinations for Trotz.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 9
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)