May 12, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
First to report the availability of captain Dion Phaneuf was Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, who tweeted Saturday that the Leafs were “shopping” the 29-year-old defenseman to teams in the Western Conference, and that there was “lots of interest,” especially if Toronto were willing to eat some salary.
Today, TSN’s Darren Dreger added his two cents to the speculation:
This is far from the first time Phaneuf’s name has been heard in trade rumors as a member of the Leafs, but most of those came before he signed a seven-year, $49 million contract extension in December. It’s not surprising, however, that Toronto’s designated leader, by way of the ‘C’s that he wears on his jersey, is in the middle of more rumors in the wake of the team’s latest precipitous collapse.
What are some possible trade destinations? Well, if the Leafs are only willing to send their captain to the Western Conference, the Oilers have said they could use a “big stud defenseman,” and the Stars have said something similar. Colorado’s another possible fit.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
23-year-old had 18 points in 29 games last year.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Moves on from Washington, the team that drafted him in 2004.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
Penguins GM considers his new winger in the same class as Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:28 PM EDT
So long, Boston University.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT
29-year-old forward will look to get his career back on track.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:04 PM EDT
Some smaller signings to pass your way…
Jul 1, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Still needs to sign a new deal, but Columbus will match any offer sheet.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
The torch has been passed.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Bit of an odd twist.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT
Both spent the last few seasons playing in Russia.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
One of the Senators’ main penalty-killers last season.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
One year, $1.25 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Former Jets forward scores a big-money deal.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
27-year-old never really panned out in Boston.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT
Having already signed former Canuck Brad Richardson.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:11 PM EDT
Nice raise after playing for $700,000 in Pittsburgh last season.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT
End of an era in Toronto. A premier goal-scoring winger heads to Pittsburgh.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Finnish forward coming off a strong first season in St. Louis.
Jul 1, 2015, 12:56 PM EDT
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 9
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 14
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 121
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 14
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 64
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (121)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)