May 12, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
First to report the availability of captain Dion Phaneuf was Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, who tweeted Saturday that the Leafs were “shopping” the 29-year-old defenseman to teams in the Western Conference, and that there was “lots of interest,” especially if Toronto were willing to eat some salary.
Today, TSN’s Darren Dreger added his two cents to the speculation:
This is far from the first time Phaneuf’s name has been heard in trade rumors as a member of the Leafs, but most of those came before he signed a seven-year, $49 million contract extension in December. It’s not surprising, however, that Toronto’s designated leader, by way of the ‘C’s that he wears on his jersey, is in the middle of more rumors in the wake of the team’s latest precipitous collapse.
What are some possible trade destinations? Well, if the Leafs are only willing to send their captain to the Western Conference, the Oilers have said they could use a “big stud defenseman,” and the Stars have said something similar. Colorado’s another possible fit.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)