May 12, 2014, 11:18 AM EDT
First to report the availability of captain Dion Phaneuf was Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, who tweeted Saturday that the Leafs were “shopping” the 29-year-old defenseman to teams in the Western Conference, and that there was “lots of interest,” especially if Toronto were willing to eat some salary.
Today, TSN’s Darren Dreger added his two cents to the speculation:
This is far from the first time Phaneuf’s name has been heard in trade rumors as a member of the Leafs, but most of those came before he signed a seven-year, $49 million contract extension in December. It’s not surprising, however, that Toronto’s designated leader, by way of the ‘C’s that he wears on his jersey, is in the middle of more rumors in the wake of the team’s latest precipitous collapse.
What are some possible trade destinations? Well, if the Leafs are only willing to send their captain to the Western Conference, the Oilers have said they could use a “big stud defenseman,” and the Stars have said something similar. Colorado’s another possible fit.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)