May 12, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
The career of Jaromir Jagr is a fascinating thing to look at and at 42 years old, he’s showing no signs of letting up.
Jagr is playing for the Czech Republic at the 2014 World Championships and recently re-signed with the New Jersey Devils for another season. After starting with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1990, his philosophy for keeping at it is pretty simple as Stephen Whyno of The Canadian Press shared.
“I want to have fun. As long as you have fun, everything is a lot easier,” Jagr said. “But you have to work hard, you have to love the game, and that’s what you do.”
Jagr said one of the things that keeps him ahead of the game at an older age is being smarter when playing and look for any advantage he can get. With so many younger, faster players out there, being the “wise veteran” has its place as well.
This past season with the Devils, he led the team in scoring with 67 points. He potted 24 goals and was one behind 23-year-old Adam Henrique for the team lead.
While guys like Teemu Selanne are hanging it up and Martin Brodeur is coming to the end of his road, Jagr just keeps on rolling along. Wonder if he’s talked to Chris Chelios about playing until you’re almost 50.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 0
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 41
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 12
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)