May 12, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
The career of Jaromir Jagr is a fascinating thing to look at and at 42 years old, he’s showing no signs of letting up.
Jagr is playing for the Czech Republic at the 2014 World Championships and recently re-signed with the New Jersey Devils for another season. After starting with the Pittsburgh Penguins in 1990, his philosophy for keeping at it is pretty simple as Stephen Whyno of The Canadian Press shared.
“I want to have fun. As long as you have fun, everything is a lot easier,” Jagr said. “But you have to work hard, you have to love the game, and that’s what you do.”
Jagr said one of the things that keeps him ahead of the game at an older age is being smarter when playing and look for any advantage he can get. With so many younger, faster players out there, being the “wise veteran” has its place as well.
This past season with the Devils, he led the team in scoring with 67 points. He potted 24 goals and was one behind 23-year-old Adam Henrique for the team lead.
While guys like Teemu Selanne are hanging it up and Martin Brodeur is coming to the end of his road, Jagr just keeps on rolling along. Wonder if he’s talked to Chris Chelios about playing until you’re almost 50.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)