May 12, 2014, 10:22 PM EDT
After Boston’s superb performance in Game 5 on Saturday, the Montreal Canadiens responded in kind tonight with a 4-0 victory, forcing a Game 7 of their opening round series on Wednesday at TD Garden.
Canadiens netminder Carey Price was great when he needed to be, turning aside all 26 Bruins shots en route to his first shutout of the 2014 postseason.
Price had some help midway through the third period, though, as forward David Desharnais was able to knock the puck off the Canadiens’ goal line. The 27-year-old forward has struggled offensively in the postseason, but he made a big impact tonight with that one play.
Desharnais also added an assist and provided a spark to Montreal’s two big guns — Max Pacioretty and Thomas Vanek — both of whom were huge on Monday night. Pacioretty had two points, including his first goal of the series, while Vanek scored twice and now has five goals through 10 playoff contests.
As for the Boston side of things… Bruins goaltender Tuukka Rask obviously didn’t match Price statistically, but he did hold his own in this contest. It’s fair to say his defenders could have done more to make this night pleasant for him.
Early in the first period, rookie blueliner Kevan Miller mishandled the puck, which led to Montreal forward Lars Eller‘s goal just 2:11 in. In the second period, defenseman Zdeno Chara arguably could have done more in a race with Pacioretty, which resulted in the Canadiens’ second goal.
Just 2:15 minutes later, Vanek made it 3-0 while Bruins forward Gregory Campbell was in the sin bin for high-sticking.
Vanek added an empty netter with 3:56 remaining because of a neutral-zone turnover while Rask was heading to the bench for the extra attacker. To add insult to injury, it counts as a goal against the Bruins goaltender because he wasn’t on the bench yet.
As mentioned above, the series now shifts back to Boston for the deciding Game 7. It’ll be interesting to see how the Bruins respond to their most lopsided defeat of the playoffs and, conversely, how Montreal will deal with playing at TD Garden, where it has lost two in a row.
Apr 27, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
Apr 27, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Tampa Bay needed a strong start like this.
Apr 27, 2015, 7:22 PM EDT
Just one appearance in this series.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
Tough to argue with this two-way trio.
Apr 27, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
One Game 7 and one team hoping to force another.
Apr 27, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
Tom Stillman did say “I’m sure there’ll be changes” following another first-round playoff defeat.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Expected to make full recovery within 4-6 weeks.
Apr 27, 2015, 4:11 PM EDT
Former Maple Leaf and Red Wing appeared in over 1,200 career games, winning five Stanley Cups.
Apr 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Kevin Bieksa and Dan Hamhuis were each asked if they’d be willing to waive their no-trade clauses.
Apr 27, 2015, 2:47 PM EDT
Flames head coach Bob Hartley confirmed the decision on Monday.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Tournament will be a big one for the Flyers forward.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:17 PM EDT
Thus ending the Scott Darling era… for now.
Apr 27, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
New building could open by the fall of 2017.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
Diminutive forward left Game 5 after taking a shot to the helmet.
Apr 27, 2015, 12:31 PM EDT
Tournament begins May 1 in the Czech Republic.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Interference aside, Tampa Bay has had no shortage of power-play time.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:52 AM EDT
Referees Dan O’Rourke (No. 9) and Dan O’Halloran (No. 13), linesmen Greg Devorski (No. 54) and Michel Cormier (No. 76).
Apr 27, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
Pittsburgh has a lot of cap space tied up in two players.
Apr 27, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
Washington makes a lineup change in advance of Game 7 versus the Isles.
Apr 27, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
“I spent seven years there.”
- Video: Mrazek makes astounding save, Stamkos brawls again 3
- 2015 Norris Trophy finalists: Doughty, Karlsson and Subban 21
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 22
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 12
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 73
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 50
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (87)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)