May 12, 2014, 12:41 PM EST
The Calgary Flames have made an interesting free agent signing, agreeing to terms with German forward David Wolf on a one-year, $925,000 deal.
Wolf, 24, is an undrafted free agent that’s spent the last three seasons playing with Hamburg of the Deutsche Eishockey Liga, the top circuit in Germany. Wolf’s a big guy (6-foot-3, 225 pounds) that scored 14 goals and 40 points in 48 games for the Freezers last season and, in addition to his point total, played with quite the edge — he racked up a whopping 152 PIM in 2013-14 to lead the DEL in penalty minutes.
If you’re thinking this sounds like a truculent player, congrats on making the link — he’s now signed with the same Flames team Brian Burke presides over. In fact, the Wolf deal seems to have Burke’s fingerprints all over it; according to the Calgary Sun, Wolf attended Toronto Maple Leafs prospect camp back in 2012, when Burke was serving as GM.
Finally, we’d be remiss without mentioning that Wolf’s dad is ex-DEL star Manfred “Mannix” Wolf, which is a name even Max Power would be jealous of.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)