May 12, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames have made an interesting free agent signing, agreeing to terms with German forward David Wolf on a one-year, $925,000 deal.
Wolf, 24, is an undrafted free agent that’s spent the last three seasons playing with Hamburg of the Deutsche Eishockey Liga, the top circuit in Germany. Wolf’s a big guy (6-foot-3, 225 pounds) that scored 14 goals and 40 points in 48 games for the Freezers last season and, in addition to his point total, played with quite the edge — he racked up a whopping 152 PIM in 2013-14 to lead the DEL in penalty minutes.
If you’re thinking this sounds like a truculent player, congrats on making the link — he’s now signed with the same Flames team Brian Burke presides over. In fact, the Wolf deal seems to have Burke’s fingerprints all over it; according to the Calgary Sun, Wolf attended Toronto Maple Leafs prospect camp back in 2012, when Burke was serving as GM.
Finally, we’d be remiss without mentioning that Wolf’s dad is ex-DEL star Manfred “Mannix” Wolf, which is a name even Max Power would be jealous of.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 65
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (65)
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process (50)
- Editorial rips Flames’ request for ‘ludicrous amount of taxpayer support’ to build arena (45)
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? (32)
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT (31)