May 12, 2014, 12:41 PM EST
The Calgary Flames have made an interesting free agent signing, agreeing to terms with German forward David Wolf on a one-year, $925,000 deal.
Wolf, 24, is an undrafted free agent that’s spent the last three seasons playing with Hamburg of the Deutsche Eishockey Liga, the top circuit in Germany. Wolf’s a big guy (6-foot-3, 225 pounds) that scored 14 goals and 40 points in 48 games for the Freezers last season and, in addition to his point total, played with quite the edge — he racked up a whopping 152 PIM in 2013-14 to lead the DEL in penalty minutes.
If you’re thinking this sounds like a truculent player, congrats on making the link — he’s now signed with the same Flames team Brian Burke presides over. In fact, the Wolf deal seems to have Burke’s fingerprints all over it; according to the Calgary Sun, Wolf attended Toronto Maple Leafs prospect camp back in 2012, when Burke was serving as GM.
Finally, we’d be remiss without mentioning that Wolf’s dad is ex-DEL star Manfred “Mannix” Wolf, which is a name even Max Power would be jealous of.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 3
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 24
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 51
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)