May 12, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
The Calgary Flames have made an interesting free agent signing, agreeing to terms with German forward David Wolf on a one-year, $925,000 deal.
Wolf, 24, is an undrafted free agent that’s spent the last three seasons playing with Hamburg of the Deutsche Eishockey Liga, the top circuit in Germany. Wolf’s a big guy (6-foot-3, 225 pounds) that scored 14 goals and 40 points in 48 games for the Freezers last season and, in addition to his point total, played with quite the edge — he racked up a whopping 152 PIM in 2013-14 to lead the DEL in penalty minutes.
If you’re thinking this sounds like a truculent player, congrats on making the link — he’s now signed with the same Flames team Brian Burke presides over. In fact, the Wolf deal seems to have Burke’s fingerprints all over it; according to the Calgary Sun, Wolf attended Toronto Maple Leafs prospect camp back in 2012, when Burke was serving as GM.
Finally, we’d be remiss without mentioning that Wolf’s dad is ex-DEL star Manfred “Mannix” Wolf, which is a name even Max Power would be jealous of.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)