May 12, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Further to our post earlier today, a potentially key piece of information from Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos:
And for all those PHT commenters who think Dion Phaneuf is untradeable because he’s attached to a seven-year, $49 million contract, at least one former NHL general manager disagrees, per Sportsnet’s Mark Spector.
“If you like the player, it’s not an issue,” the former GM said. “There are advantages and disadvantages to long-term deals. If you like him, he’s locked up.”
The opinions on Phaneuf vary, to say the least. Yes, he makes mistakes. But at the same time, only six NHL d-men have scored more goals in the last three seasons, and according to Extra Skater, no blue-liner was deployed against tougher competition in 2013-14.
Also remember that Phaneuf is only 29, and the salary cap is expected to increase in the next few years. On a better team, and perhaps with less demanded of him defensively, he could be a fit.
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 30
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 23
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 20
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 27
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 46
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)