May 12, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Further to our post earlier today, a potentially key piece of information from Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos:
And for all those PHT commenters who think Dion Phaneuf is untradeable because he’s attached to a seven-year, $49 million contract, at least one former NHL general manager disagrees, per Sportsnet’s Mark Spector.
“If you like the player, it’s not an issue,” the former GM said. “There are advantages and disadvantages to long-term deals. If you like him, he’s locked up.”
The opinions on Phaneuf vary, to say the least. Yes, he makes mistakes. But at the same time, only six NHL d-men have scored more goals in the last three seasons, and according to Extra Skater, no blue-liner was deployed against tougher competition in 2013-14.
Also remember that Phaneuf is only 29, and the salary cap is expected to increase in the next few years. On a better team, and perhaps with less demanded of him defensively, he could be a fit.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)