May 12, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Further to our post earlier today, a potentially key piece of information from Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos:
And for all those PHT commenters who think Dion Phaneuf is untradeable because he’s attached to a seven-year, $49 million contract, at least one former NHL general manager disagrees, per Sportsnet’s Mark Spector.
“If you like the player, it’s not an issue,” the former GM said. “There are advantages and disadvantages to long-term deals. If you like him, he’s locked up.”
The opinions on Phaneuf vary, to say the least. Yes, he makes mistakes. But at the same time, only six NHL d-men have scored more goals in the last three seasons, and according to Extra Skater, no blue-liner was deployed against tougher competition in 2013-14.
Also remember that Phaneuf is only 29, and the salary cap is expected to increase in the next few years. On a better team, and perhaps with less demanded of him defensively, he could be a fit.
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 20
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 54
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)