May 12, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Further to our post earlier today, a potentially key piece of information from Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos:
And for all those PHT commenters who think Dion Phaneuf is untradeable because he’s attached to a seven-year, $49 million contract, at least one former NHL general manager disagrees, per Sportsnet’s Mark Spector.
“If you like the player, it’s not an issue,” the former GM said. “There are advantages and disadvantages to long-term deals. If you like him, he’s locked up.”
The opinions on Phaneuf vary, to say the least. Yes, he makes mistakes. But at the same time, only six NHL d-men have scored more goals in the last three seasons, and according to Extra Skater, no blue-liner was deployed against tougher competition in 2013-14.
Also remember that Phaneuf is only 29, and the salary cap is expected to increase in the next few years. On a better team, and perhaps with less demanded of him defensively, he could be a fit.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54