May 12, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Further to our post earlier today, a potentially key piece of information from Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos:
And for all those PHT commenters who think Dion Phaneuf is untradeable because he’s attached to a seven-year, $49 million contract, at least one former NHL general manager disagrees, per Sportsnet’s Mark Spector.
“If you like the player, it’s not an issue,” the former GM said. “There are advantages and disadvantages to long-term deals. If you like him, he’s locked up.”
The opinions on Phaneuf vary, to say the least. Yes, he makes mistakes. But at the same time, only six NHL d-men have scored more goals in the last three seasons, and according to Extra Skater, no blue-liner was deployed against tougher competition in 2013-14.
Also remember that Phaneuf is only 29, and the salary cap is expected to increase in the next few years. On a better team, and perhaps with less demanded of him defensively, he could be a fit.
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 1
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 100
- Howard won’t demand trade out of Detroit 19
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (101)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)