May 12, 2014, 10:21 AM EDT
There’s been more than enough angst of late between the Rangers and Penguins. As both teams head for a Game 7 on Tuesday, New York isn’t happy about the way Pittsburgh has been treating Henrik Lundqvist.
“We’re just trying to play,” Vigneault said. “One of the concerns we that have is there’s a lot of poking at our goaltender after the whistle. Always their same guys. They’re supposed to know goaltenders need to be protected.”
The Penguins have been crashing the net hard and trying to get at loose pucks is part of the game, but a lot of the goalmouth scrums wind up happening because of things like this. It’s something every team will do and the Rangers are likely guilty of doing similar things to Marc-Andre Fleury as well.
Then again, this could just be preemptive campaigning to earn a call in Game 7 that could help turn the game in the Rangers’ favor. Gamesmanship is fun.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)