May 11, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Whether the New York Rangers hang on enough to force a Game 7 against the Pittsburgh Penguins or not, it’s clear that both of these teams have generated plenty of playoff bitterness through six games. It only makes sense that Game 6 featured the thematic infraction of the 2014 postseason, as a ruckus happened in the end of the second period when it appeared as if Sidney Crosby speared Dominic Moore below the belt:
The way things seem to shake out in this postseason, it’s unlikely that Crosby gets anything more than a fine … if the NHL addresses that spear at all.
Here’s a capture of the moment:
As far as the official penalties go, the Rangers ended up with a power play after all of this was settled. Chris Kunitz received a two-minute roughing penalty while Crosby and Brian Boyle were whistled for cross-checking.
The situation even drew some attention from Roberto Luongo:
Apparently Crosby wasn’t the only big name who was upset during that span, at least according to HNIC’s Elliotte Friedman:
We’ve seen plenty of signs of Crosby’s feisty side, as the Penguins star was clearly agitated at times during Game 5:
So far, a frustrated Crosby hasn’t been all that bad of a sign for the Rangers. Still, there is plenty of time for him to get the last laugh, whether it’s in Game 6 or if the Penguins are forced into a decisive Game 7.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)