May 11, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Whether the New York Rangers hang on enough to force a Game 7 against the Pittsburgh Penguins or not, it’s clear that both of these teams have generated plenty of playoff bitterness through six games. It only makes sense that Game 6 featured the thematic infraction of the 2014 postseason, as a ruckus happened in the end of the second period when it appeared as if Sidney Crosby speared Dominic Moore below the belt:
The way things seem to shake out in this postseason, it’s unlikely that Crosby gets anything more than a fine … if the NHL addresses that spear at all.
Here’s a capture of the moment:
As far as the official penalties go, the Rangers ended up with a power play after all of this was settled. Chris Kunitz received a two-minute roughing penalty while Crosby and Brian Boyle were whistled for cross-checking.
The situation even drew some attention from Roberto Luongo:
Apparently Crosby wasn’t the only big name who was upset during that span, at least according to HNIC’s Elliotte Friedman:
We’ve seen plenty of signs of Crosby’s feisty side, as the Penguins star was clearly agitated at times during Game 5:
So far, a frustrated Crosby hasn’t been all that bad of a sign for the Rangers. Still, there is plenty of time for him to get the last laugh, whether it’s in Game 6 or if the Penguins are forced into a decisive Game 7.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)