Thornton on Subban squirt: ‘I got caught up in the moment’

May 11, 2014, 2:05 PM EST

shawnthorntonap AP

Never before has a squirt or two of water from a bottle gotten so much attention and for that, Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton is sorry.

Thornton was fined $2,820.52 for squirting Montreal Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban late in Boston’s Game 5 win against Montreal.

While talk of the Bruins’ dominating win should’ve been the buzz the day after, it was Thornton’s skills with a water bottle that got all the attention as CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty shares.

I obviously got caught up in the moment,” Thornton said. “The fine . . . I’ll pay the fine. I obviously agree with what the league does there. I’ll pay the fine and move on. I’m sorry that the silly incident kind of overshadowed how my teammates played, and the great win, and how good this series has been. There are definitely more important things that we should be focusing on. I got caught up in the moment, and I probably shouldn’t have done that. I’ll move on and get ready for Game 6.”

Bruins coach Claude Julien is usually the first guy to back up his players in tough situations, but he said, “I don’t think I can support Shawn on these actions.”

Seeing an incident like this take on a life of its own is all part of the fun when it comes to the Bruins and Canadiens. Here’s to hoping both teams can put the bottles away in Game 6.