May 11, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
Never before has a squirt or two of water from a bottle gotten so much attention and for that, Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton is sorry.
While talk of the Bruins’ dominating win should’ve been the buzz the day after, it was Thornton’s skills with a water bottle that got all the attention as CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty shares.
“I obviously got caught up in the moment,” Thornton said. “The fine . . . I’ll pay the fine. I obviously agree with what the league does there. I’ll pay the fine and move on. I’m sorry that the silly incident kind of overshadowed how my teammates played, and the great win, and how good this series has been. There are definitely more important things that we should be focusing on. I got caught up in the moment, and I probably shouldn’t have done that. I’ll move on and get ready for Game 6.”
Bruins coach Claude Julien is usually the first guy to back up his players in tough situations, but he said, “I don’t think I can support Shawn on these actions.”
Seeing an incident like this take on a life of its own is all part of the fun when it comes to the Bruins and Canadiens. Here’s to hoping both teams can put the bottles away in Game 6.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)