May 11, 2014, 2:05 PM EDT
Never before has a squirt or two of water from a bottle gotten so much attention and for that, Boston Bruins forward Shawn Thornton is sorry.
While talk of the Bruins’ dominating win should’ve been the buzz the day after, it was Thornton’s skills with a water bottle that got all the attention as CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty shares.
“I obviously got caught up in the moment,” Thornton said. “The fine . . . I’ll pay the fine. I obviously agree with what the league does there. I’ll pay the fine and move on. I’m sorry that the silly incident kind of overshadowed how my teammates played, and the great win, and how good this series has been. There are definitely more important things that we should be focusing on. I got caught up in the moment, and I probably shouldn’t have done that. I’ll move on and get ready for Game 6.”
Bruins coach Claude Julien is usually the first guy to back up his players in tough situations, but he said, “I don’t think I can support Shawn on these actions.”
Seeing an incident like this take on a life of its own is all part of the fun when it comes to the Bruins and Canadiens. Here’s to hoping both teams can put the bottles away in Game 6.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 15
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 20
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 65
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 26
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)