May 11, 2014, 12:15 AM EST
You’re in, John Gibson.
The Anaheim Ducks turned to the 20-year-old rookie goalie Gibson in a critical Game 4 against the L.A. Kings in the second-round playoff series. It would’ve been understandable had Anaheim’s head coach Bruce Boudreau turned to the veteran Jonas Hiller. Quite the stage for a young player, never mind one tasked with stopping pucks, to be put right into. Gibson, who has spent the vast majority of this season in the American Hockey League, was making his Stanley Cup playoff debut.
On this stage, Gibson was spectacular. He made 28 saves for the 2-0 shutout victory over the Kings. And the best-of-seven series is now tied 2-2. Neither team has won on home ice. Gibson and the Ducks were under siege for most of the final two periods. Anaheim failed to even register a single shot on goal in the second period.
The Ducks did strike quickly in the first period. Devante Smith-Pelly and Ryan Getzlaf scored less than three minutes apart to give Anaheim a 2-0 lead at the end of the first period. Kings’ coach Darryl Sutter pulled Jonathan Quick after just 20 minutes, replacing him with Martin Jones.
Jones wasn’t busy at all, forced to make only three saves.
But the story was Gibson, and the gamble by Boudreau to go with an unproven but talented goalie in such an important game.
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 0
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 3
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 5
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 69
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (69)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)