May 11, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
When the Pittsburgh Penguins put the New York Rangers down 3-1 the last time the two squads were at Madison Square Garden, fans were booing and the home team looked flat. The scene was flipped on Game 6 as fans applauded a bitter, impressive Rangers win that forced this series to a full seven games.
The Rangers beat the Penguins 3-1 to win Game 6 on Sunday in a game that was wild and quite violent.
As it turns out, Derek Stepan‘s odd hiccup with an official in the contest’s first shift seemed to be harbinger of weird things to come:
Martin St. Louis opened the scoring by scoring a 1-0 goal on Mother’s Day just days after his mother France St. Louis passed away:
There were plenty of near-calls and thrilling moments as the Rangers clearly went all-out to send this game back to Pittsburgh for a must-win game for each team. This sequence of events for Marcel Goc and Chris Kreider probably captures that spirit the best:
Sidney Crosby‘s bitterness carried over from Game 5 and it’s clear that both teams are losing their cool at times:
It’s difficult to deny that the testy stuff might be playing into the Rangers’ hands a bit. They gained a power play on that exchange and saw some lapses in judgment from both sides, yet it was telling that James Neal was the player who was tossed from the game in the late going.
Meanwhile, Henrik Lundqvist remains absolutely brilliant in elimination games, especially at Madison Square Garden. He’s now won seven of those must-win contests at MSG, as he turned aside 36 out of the 37 shots he faced. (In fact, the goal that beat him actually came off of Rangers defenseman Kevin Klein.)
Many counted the Rangers out when they were down 3-1 in this series, yet now a ticket to the Eastern Conference finals is up for grabs. As bad as things look for the Penguins, they’ve never lost a series against the Rangers in their franchise playoff history.
Plenty will be on the line in Game 7 on Tuesday. Will the Rangers ride this momentum or will the Penguins dig deep and make another trip to the conference finals?
Mar 27, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Changes to the bylaws allow the Philly defenseman to be inducted.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
The group is nearing its goal of securing 10,000 season ticket deposits.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
A tough win turned into a bitter OT loss.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Will anyone else join them tonight?
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Not a great night for Ottawa.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Update your save of the year highlight packages.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He seems OK after that tough, 2-on-1 check.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Three goals allowed in 20 minutes by Detroit’s embattled starter.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:23 PM EDT
The Rangers forward felt encouraged by this latest step.
Mar 26, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
He’s lining up with Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron to start.
Mar 26, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT
A Vladimir Tarasenko hit shook him up on Tuesday.
Mar 26, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Vermont power forward was the club’s third-round pick in 2011.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:56 PM EDT
Featuring Erik Karlsson, Marc Methot and a guest appearance from Curtis Lazar.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:37 PM EDT
The 43-year-old has been a big influence on his young linemates.
Mar 26, 2015, 4:09 PM EDT
Granted, they have to make them first.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:44 PM EDT
Bruce Boudreau continues to “experiment” on defense.
Mar 26, 2015, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully we realize that, come together and allow this group to stay together.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 19
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 9
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 40
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 18
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)