May 11, 2014, 9:53 PM EDT
When the Pittsburgh Penguins put the New York Rangers down 3-1 the last time the two squads were at Madison Square Garden, fans were booing and the home team looked flat. The scene was flipped on Game 6 as fans applauded a bitter, impressive Rangers win that forced this series to a full seven games.
The Rangers beat the Penguins 3-1 to win Game 6 on Sunday in a game that was wild and quite violent.
As it turns out, Derek Stepan‘s odd hiccup with an official in the contest’s first shift seemed to be harbinger of weird things to come:
Martin St. Louis opened the scoring by scoring a 1-0 goal on Mother’s Day just days after his mother France St. Louis passed away:
There were plenty of near-calls and thrilling moments as the Rangers clearly went all-out to send this game back to Pittsburgh for a must-win game for each team. This sequence of events for Marcel Goc and Chris Kreider probably captures that spirit the best:
Sidney Crosby‘s bitterness carried over from Game 5 and it’s clear that both teams are losing their cool at times:
It’s difficult to deny that the testy stuff might be playing into the Rangers’ hands a bit. They gained a power play on that exchange and saw some lapses in judgment from both sides, yet it was telling that James Neal was the player who was tossed from the game in the late going.
Meanwhile, Henrik Lundqvist remains absolutely brilliant in elimination games, especially at Madison Square Garden. He’s now won seven of those must-win contests at MSG, as he turned aside 36 out of the 37 shots he faced. (In fact, the goal that beat him actually came off of Rangers defenseman Kevin Klein.)
Many counted the Rangers out when they were down 3-1 in this series, yet now a ticket to the Eastern Conference finals is up for grabs. As bad as things look for the Penguins, they’ve never lost a series against the Rangers in their franchise playoff history.
Plenty will be on the line in Game 7 on Tuesday. Will the Rangers ride this momentum or will the Penguins dig deep and make another trip to the conference finals?
Apr 18, 2015, 11:25 AM EDT
He received an instigator penalty late in Game 2.
Apr 18, 2015, 11:05 AM EDT
He’s been out since mid-March with an arm injury.
Apr 18, 2015, 9:51 AM EDT
Tampa Bay looks to avoid a sixth straight postseason loss.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:36 AM EDT
Another rough go for Crow.
Apr 18, 2015, 1:15 AM EDT
Crazy finish at Rogers Arena.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT
Series now even at one.
Apr 18, 2015, 12:31 AM EDT
Talk about taking the game out of the officials’ hands.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
In Las Vegas.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:21 PM EDT
All the breaks seem to be going Chicago’s way.
Apr 17, 2015, 11:19 PM EDT
Second key player Nashville’s lost in as many games.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:52 PM EDT
Not a great start to the playoffs for Corey Crawford.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
Johnny Boychuk admits Isles let one slip away.
Apr 17, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Ottawa will need magic at home.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Quite a comeback win for Washington.
Apr 17, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT
He blew the Islanders’ minds on this one.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:37 PM EDT
Updated with P.K. Subban’s booming goal.
Apr 17, 2015, 8:02 PM EDT
Awesome countered by awesomeness.
Apr 17, 2015, 7:02 PM EDT
He seemed tentative in warm-ups …
Apr 17, 2015, 6:39 PM EDT
Apr 17, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
No pressure, kid.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 78
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (78)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)