May 11, 2014, 1:34 AM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks fought their way back into this Western Conference second-round series, and now it’s all tied at two-games apiece.
For the Kings, already in a low-scoring series with their California rivals, goals have been especially hard to come by in the last two games – both losses for L.A. On Saturday, facing 20-year-old rookie goalie John Gibson, the Kings got 28 shots on goal but not one of them crossed the goal line. Anaheim was also credited with 25 blocked shot, making it difficult enough for the Kings’ shooters to get pucks through the Gibson, although he saw his fair share of rubber.
Recent struggles have Kings’ head coach Darryl Sutter asking for his top players – he didn’t name anyone in particular – to battle through the tight checking Anaheim has employed in this series.
“I think the ability to finish it off. We had trouble scoring against Anaheim,” said Sutter, as per LA Kings Insider. “They’re doing a good job of keeping us to the outside, keeping top players to the perimeter. Give them credit for it. Not allowing them to get any time or space. Some of our top guys have to fight through it more.”
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 5
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 28
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 14
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)