May 11, 2014, 1:34 AM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks fought their way back into this Western Conference second-round series, and now it’s all tied at two-games apiece.
For the Kings, already in a low-scoring series with their California rivals, goals have been especially hard to come by in the last two games – both losses for L.A. On Saturday, facing 20-year-old rookie goalie John Gibson, the Kings got 28 shots on goal but not one of them crossed the goal line. Anaheim was also credited with 25 blocked shot, making it difficult enough for the Kings’ shooters to get pucks through the Gibson, although he saw his fair share of rubber.
Recent struggles have Kings’ head coach Darryl Sutter asking for his top players – he didn’t name anyone in particular – to battle through the tight checking Anaheim has employed in this series.
“I think the ability to finish it off. We had trouble scoring against Anaheim,” said Sutter, as per LA Kings Insider. “They’re doing a good job of keeping us to the outside, keeping top players to the perimeter. Give them credit for it. Not allowing them to get any time or space. Some of our top guys have to fight through it more.”
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 29
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)