May 11, 2014, 4:39 PM EST
After the way Anaheim Ducks goalie John Gibson performed in his first Stanley Cup Playoffs start, coach Bruce Boudreau sees no reason to mess with a winning formula.
Boudreau told reporters following practice on Sunday that Gibson would get the call to start again in Game 5 in Anaheim. Gibson stopped all 28 shots he faced in a 2-0 shutout in Game 4 to help the Ducks even-up their series with the Kings at 2-2.
Gibson got the call to start after Frederik Andersen went out with an injury in Game 3. As for Andersen’s health, Boudreau said he won’t be available for Game 5 meaning Jonas Hiller will backup Gibson.
Forward Matt Beleskey will also will not play in Game 5 for the Ducks after he sustained a lower-body injury in Game 3. He missed Game 4 and also missed time in the first round against the Dallas Stars.
The Ducks have gotten solid contributions from their depth players throughout the playoffs and while Beleskey had a solid Game 3 before getting hurt, guys like Devante Smith-Pelly have seized the moment.
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 17
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 68
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Patrick Kane (fractured clavicle) out 12 weeks after surgery 41
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (71)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)