May 11, 2014, 4:39 PM EDT
After the way Anaheim Ducks goalie John Gibson performed in his first Stanley Cup Playoffs start, coach Bruce Boudreau sees no reason to mess with a winning formula.
Boudreau told reporters following practice on Sunday that Gibson would get the call to start again in Game 5 in Anaheim. Gibson stopped all 28 shots he faced in a 2-0 shutout in Game 4 to help the Ducks even-up their series with the Kings at 2-2.
Gibson got the call to start after Frederik Andersen went out with an injury in Game 3. As for Andersen’s health, Boudreau said he won’t be available for Game 5 meaning Jonas Hiller will backup Gibson.
Forward Matt Beleskey will also will not play in Game 5 for the Ducks after he sustained a lower-body injury in Game 3. He missed Game 4 and also missed time in the first round against the Dallas Stars.
The Ducks have gotten solid contributions from their depth players throughout the playoffs and while Beleskey had a solid Game 3 before getting hurt, guys like Devante Smith-Pelly have seized the moment.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 4
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 35
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)