May 11, 2014, 4:39 PM EDT
After the way Anaheim Ducks goalie John Gibson performed in his first Stanley Cup Playoffs start, coach Bruce Boudreau sees no reason to mess with a winning formula.
Boudreau told reporters following practice on Sunday that Gibson would get the call to start again in Game 5 in Anaheim. Gibson stopped all 28 shots he faced in a 2-0 shutout in Game 4 to help the Ducks even-up their series with the Kings at 2-2.
Gibson got the call to start after Frederik Andersen went out with an injury in Game 3. As for Andersen’s health, Boudreau said he won’t be available for Game 5 meaning Jonas Hiller will backup Gibson.
Forward Matt Beleskey will also will not play in Game 5 for the Ducks after he sustained a lower-body injury in Game 3. He missed Game 4 and also missed time in the first round against the Dallas Stars.
The Ducks have gotten solid contributions from their depth players throughout the playoffs and while Beleskey had a solid Game 3 before getting hurt, guys like Devante Smith-Pelly have seized the moment.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)