May 11, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
During the 2013 Stanley Cup Final series, Jonathan Toews made waves when he discussed why the Chicago Blackhawks “shouldn’t be scared of” Zdeno Chara. It seems like the Boston Bruins behemoth is being badgered again, as Montreal Canadiens center David Desharnais told NHL.com that the big blueliner grew tired in Game 5 (which Boston won).
“He’s an excellent defenseman; it’s definitely not easy to play against him,” Desharnais said. “I think [Saturday] we found a way to get him tired a bit more and to pressure him.
“When you do that, he’s just another defenseman.”
Desharnais was playing it pretty safe right there, but if you’re Bruins head coach Claude Julien, you probably want to triple the font on the phrase “he’s just another defenseman.”
Julien would probably provide the same response on this subject that he did back in last year’s playoffs:
“I mean, they’re allowed their comments. If that’s what they think, then they should try it again,” Julien said. “A lot of people have tried to figure out Zdeno, and he’s the type of player he is …”
If nothing else, the 37-year-old defenseman should be fresher than previous postseason runs. He averaged a playoff career-high 29:32 minutes per night in Boston’s run to the championship round last year, but he’s being used more conservatively so far in this postseason. He’s logging just under 26 minutes per night (25:53), well below his career 26:57 average in the playoffs.
Then again, maybe that means that Boston is a little concerned about the “Big Z’s” fatigue levels. (Of course, it could also have a lot to do with the emergence of young defensemen such as Torey Krug and Dougie Hamilton.)
Either way, the Bruins probably aren’t sweating it and might even get a little bulletin board material out of the deal.
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 0
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 7
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 69
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 63
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)