May 11, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins might have another key member of their defense out for Game 6 against the New York Rangers.
Defensemen Brooks Orpik and Olli Maatta did not take part in the team’s morning skate. Orpik has played in just one game in the series, but Maatta has been a steady producer on the second pairing with Matt Niskanen.
The Pens have gotten around Orpik’s absence with Robert Bortuzzo, but if Maatta can’t play it’ll be Deryk Engelland who will likely step into his place. Engelland hasn’t played since April 12 against Philadelphia and in 56 games this season he had six goals and 12 points.
Pittsburgh has dealt with injuries all season long, particularly on defense, so they have experience in how to handle these problems. Having to do it in the middle of a playoff series on the road makes the job a bit more difficult.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)