May 11, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins might have another key member of their defense out for Game 6 against the New York Rangers.
Defensemen Brooks Orpik and Olli Maatta did not take part in the team’s morning skate. Orpik has played in just one game in the series, but Maatta has been a steady producer on the second pairing with Matt Niskanen.
The Pens have gotten around Orpik’s absence with Robert Bortuzzo, but if Maatta can’t play it’ll be Deryk Engelland who will likely step into his place. Engelland hasn’t played since April 12 against Philadelphia and in 56 games this season he had six goals and 12 points.
Pittsburgh has dealt with injuries all season long, particularly on defense, so they have experience in how to handle these problems. Having to do it in the middle of a playoff series on the road makes the job a bit more difficult.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)