May 11, 2014, 12:10 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins might have another key member of their defense out for Game 6 against the New York Rangers.
Defensemen Brooks Orpik and Olli Maatta did not take part in the team’s morning skate. Orpik has played in just one game in the series, but Maatta has been a steady producer on the second pairing with Matt Niskanen.
The Pens have gotten around Orpik’s absence with Robert Bortuzzo, but if Maatta can’t play it’ll be Deryk Engelland who will likely step into his place. Engelland hasn’t played since April 12 against Philadelphia and in 56 games this season he had six goals and 12 points.
Pittsburgh has dealt with injuries all season long, particularly on defense, so they have experience in how to handle these problems. Having to do it in the middle of a playoff series on the road makes the job a bit more difficult.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)