May 11, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT
After seeing the team that scored the first goal win the first 19 games of the second round, the Chicago Blackhawks broke that pattern by eking out a 2-1 win against the Minnesota Wild in Game 5 on Sunday. With that, they regained their series lead as they’re now up 3-2.
That semifinals-wide trend might be over, but other patterns continued between these teams.
For one thing, the Wild continue to lose on the road and win at home (with the obvious and enormous exception being that Game 7 victory against the Avalanche in Colorado, of course).
The mood for the Blackhawks must be far different than it was after they left the Windy City up 2-0, however. The ‘Hawks left home last time around likely at least pondering a short second-round series; now they must really cross their fingers that they will be able to avoid a Game 7.
Again, Chicago wasn’t taking much for granted tonight, especially after a first period that Minnesota dominated and ended up leading 1-0. Erik Haula gave them that opening goal:
After a tepid opening frame, the Blackhawks were dominant in the second period and were rewarded with Bryan Bickell‘s sixth goal of the postseason:
Jonathan Toews‘ game-winning goal probably symbolizes Chicago’s win, as they absolutely needed to gut out a tough, ugly victory:
Actually, that’s the other big trend that continued: Toews scored another big one. He now has four GWG in the playoffs, representing more than half of his team’s decisive tallies (they’ve won seven postseason games so far, of course).
It’s already quite clear that this hasn’t been the relatively easy series some expected between Chicago and Minnesota. Now the two teams will determine if this one goes the distance with Game 6 scheduled for Tuesday night.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Mitts were dropped. Frequently.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Good start for a guy on a two-way deal.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
Like Vancouver, for example.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
“We’ve got to wait to see how it heals.”
Sep 22, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
He’s been unable to skate since camp started.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
“You grow up playing hockey and you’re thinking ‘oh, I just want to play the game, it’s so much fun.’ Then you realize it is your job.”
Sep 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
But it “shouldn’t be a long-term, lingering thing.”
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle is making some changes to the way Toronto defends.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Currently there are 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
“I think it’s been terribly mishandled by the player and the agent.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Kurt Overhardt has a warning for the frustrated Blue Jackets management.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“We know he has a great shot and that’s a bonus for him.”
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
But Peter Karmanos wants to retain control of the team.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)