Blackhawks hold serve, take 3-2 series lead against Wild

May 11, 2014, 11:55 PM EDT

Minnesota Wild v Chicago Blackhawks - Game Five Getty Images

After seeing the team that scored the first goal win the first 19 games of the second round, the Chicago Blackhawks broke that pattern by eking out a 2-1 win against the Minnesota Wild in Game 5 on Sunday. With that, they regained their series lead as they’re now up 3-2.

That semifinals-wide trend might be over, but other patterns continued between these teams.

For one thing, the Wild continue to lose on the road and win at home (with the obvious and enormous exception being that Game 7 victory against the Avalanche in Colorado, of course).

The mood for the Blackhawks must be far different than it was after they left the Windy City up 2-0, however. The ‘Hawks left home last time around likely at least pondering a short second-round series; now they must really cross their fingers that they will be able to avoid a Game 7.

Again, Chicago wasn’t taking much for granted tonight, especially after a first period that Minnesota dominated and ended up leading 1-0. Erik Haula gave them that opening goal:

After a tepid opening frame, the Blackhawks were dominant in the second period and were rewarded with Bryan Bickell‘s sixth goal of the postseason:

Jonathan Toews‘ game-winning goal probably symbolizes Chicago’s win, as they absolutely needed to gut out a tough, ugly victory:

Actually, that’s the other big trend that continued: Toews scored another big one. He now has four GWG in the playoffs, representing more than half of his team’s decisive tallies (they’ve won seven postseason games so far, of course).

Both Corey Crawford and Ilya Bryzgalov faced 28 shots on goal tonight, but Crawford ultimately stopped one more shot (27 to 26) to get the big win.

It’s already quite clear that this hasn’t been the relatively easy series some expected between Chicago and Minnesota. Now the two teams will determine if this one goes the distance with Game 6 scheduled for Tuesday night.

1. comeonnowguys - May 11, 2014 at 11:57 PM

More Regin please.

2. gret9 - May 11, 2014 at 11:57 PM

Tough game. Wild are very tough and it’s going to take a great effort to advance. Please no smack talking my fellow Blackhawk fans.

• in1chuck1we1trust - May 12, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Please… crawks got a bad goal by ingrown toews nail while in the crease. Wild deserved that game.

• r8rbhawk - May 12, 2014 at 12:08 AM

sorry Charles, deserved has nothing to do with it, I’m usually not that guy, but I just gotta say… SCOREBOARD!

• comeonnowguys - May 12, 2014 at 12:09 AM

Of all five games, you picked the absolutely least applicable game to say that.

• hawkscup2013 - May 12, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Its ingrown 2 time Stanley Cup Champion, 2 time Olympic Champion, to you pal!

• clarke16 - May 12, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Great player –no doubt…but God almighty, what a little meow. Back in the day, someone like Basil McRae would have knocked someone like this into next week just because of what a whiny little biitch he is…and rightfully so. ;)

• avsfan2014 - May 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM

would have been fun to see the outcome if the refs hadn’t gotten the Hawks on the board with the phantom hook by suter. could have well been a shutout. this is nothing new, Wild in 7.

• avscup - May 12, 2014 at 9:24 AM

There were plenty of penalties that were not called on each team. The refs let them play. This game was not decided by the refs.

• ztrost11 - May 12, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Would have been nice to see if the Hawks could have turned game 4 around if the penalty was called when the Wild had six men on the ice for a solid 15-20 seconds.

• clarke16 - May 12, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Miss the old rivalry… ;)

• 2difshoe - May 12, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Scorn to be Wild !

• purpleguy - May 12, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Tough game, Hawks deserved the victory, but as Yeo said, the loss sucks. So close yet too damn far.

• clarke16 - May 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Best game the Wild have played so far in Chicago’s building. Very, very slim margin of difference between the play of the two teams last night. It could have easily gone either way. We’ll see if the hawks can close the gap in their play so far at the X tomorrow night. Given the trend here–if this goes 7…I like the Wild’s chances more and more.

I never gave them much of a chance to win this series when it opened… Damn proud of the Wild and what Fletcher/Yeo have done with them this season regardless…

3. guitarhunterdude - May 12, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Good game by both teams. Wild came out pretty hard and for the most part were the better team in the first, but the Hawks pretty much dominated the second. Wild woke up and had a flurry at the end but it was just too little, too late.

Another good series. This has been a fun playoffs for the Wild faithful.

4. r8rbhawk - May 12, 2014 at 12:01 AM

Wild won the first period but the Hawks found their game for periods 2 and 3. Much better pace to this game than games 3 and 4, “were you not entertained”? Only one more game left on Bollig’s suspension…#freebrandonbollig

Actually we don’t need him in the lineup, Versteeg looked better today, was really good at the faceoff dot when needed. Regin looked fine out there too. That 4th line actually played as well as it did during the regular season. No reason to change up these lines as they were clicking. They Hawks could actually roll all 4 lines tonight.

5. McFaddensPulledHammy - May 12, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Hard fought game, but I’m quickly losing respect for Ryan Suter. I get the cross checks but the pitch forks are BS.

I was wrong about Q and the lineups. Versteeg still sucks but Regin played well, as did Brookbank.

Thursday night’s game is going to be a war.

6. jpat2424 - May 12, 2014 at 12:04 AM

Great game by both teams. Very tough. Nail bitter. Jack Daniels should thank me for all the whiskey I drank tonight. Go Hawks !!!

• slysipops - May 12, 2014 at 9:38 AM

i remember those years! it was worse when they didn’t have the talented teams like they have now !

7. sprtsfan1 - May 12, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Loved the line up we saw tonight from Q. A great game by both teams. This series is turning into a good one.

8. luvmnsports2012 - May 12, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Good game Hawks. Back to our house….! Hopefully we can get the win there and force a game 7!! GO WILD!!!

9. credible316 - May 12, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Good game Hawks, see you in St. Paul.

GO WILD!!!

10. buhbay1c - May 12, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Good game, little disappointing the Wild played passive after taking the crowd out of it early. Wasted a great effort by Bryz. Hopefully it goes 7, that would be fun.

11. in1chuck1we1trust - May 12, 2014 at 12:09 AM

What’s with all the “good game chaps, perhaps we’ll get you next game you buggers you!”? Get angry! Get riled up! We deserve this more than lame-town! Game 6 is ours, and game 7 is going to taste even sweeter!

• gret9 - May 12, 2014 at 12:22 AM

I guess it comes down to whether you want to act like a classy mature adult or a spoiled child. If the Wild do win the next two games I will post a message of congrats and wish your team well the rest of the way. You obviously disagree….to each his own I guess.

• in1chuck1we1trust - May 12, 2014 at 12:33 AM

Rivalries aren’t meant to have pleasantries. #hate

• comeonnowguys - May 12, 2014 at 2:11 AM

I have to hate you because you are there and I am here! Your sweater is lame and mine is awesome! Your dirty hit guy is way worse than my dirty hit guy!

• purpleguy - May 12, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Best comment of the week by comonowguys. I honor of your post, your team sucks, and your post-goal song is likely the theme song of serial killers everywhere.

• mp1131211 - May 12, 2014 at 12:43 AM

With all the legit reasons to be riled up lately, it’s great to take a game without any glaring missed calls or blatantly cheap shots and just Damn! That was fun to watch! Great game! And go on with your day…

• comeonnowguys - May 12, 2014 at 2:08 AM

Lengthy discussions with clarke aside, I can’t disagree more. Considering we are on the internet, it is actually refreshing.

• clarke16 - May 12, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Keep workin’ on your game, son–and I’ll reward you here/there by letting you sneak on in on me so you’ll be encouraged to further progress, Mr. Kingfisher of the Obtusian Sea… ;)

12. fuseekthepackers28 - May 12, 2014 at 12:11 AM

Might as well just stay in Chicago and play game 7… No chance for chi town in Minney..

13. jpat2424 - May 12, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Chuck trust sucks

14. mp1131211 - May 12, 2014 at 12:17 AM

Good game by both teams. They are showing to be quite evenly matched.

Let’s go wild! Game 6!!

15. viachicago22 - May 12, 2014 at 12:26 AM

So am I wrong about this but it seems like the Hawks are just still off. Happy for the win, I get that it was tough and ugly but that’s 3 in a row now where they just haven’t looked the same. After the Hawks finished off the Blues one no doubt bitter Blues fan said “it’s obvious the Hawks are on fumes” and that’s stuck in my head. Is it: the Wild’s style of play (slowing it down, clogging up the middle), the Hawks still being a little overconfident, or is there something more going on? Are their legs just tired after a short offseason and lots of Olympians and a tough first series? And can they overcome it? I know we are one game away from advancing to the conference finals, but something is still…off.

• comeonnowguys - May 12, 2014 at 12:42 AM

It was said on twitter that (paraphrasing) it wouldn’t be a surprise to hear that Sharp has been playing with a shoulder injury ever since that stupid missed hit by Shaw in the second Penguins game.

It’s should not be a surprise. Deep run last year. Short off season. Half their team in the Olympics.

Still, some of those guys that should be dragging had some jump in their step at the end of the game. Amazing when you can actually roll four lines and three pairs and not try to hide a Bollig or a Rosival.

• clarke16 - May 12, 2014 at 2:09 PM

It’s gotta be something! The Lord only knows that it couldn’t have anything to do with anything the Wild have done–after all, everyone knows how much more talented the Hawks are, for goodness sake…

The Wild can never win this series…it’s only the Hawk’s series to LOSE, right Obtusio? LOL.

• comeonnowguys - May 12, 2014 at 2:12 PM

All you had to do was look two comments south of this. Do you need us to start up a fund to buy you a mouse with a scroll wheel?

• mp1131211 - May 12, 2014 at 2:04 AM

“So am I wrong about this but it seems like the Hawks are just still off”

They are. It’s called The Wild’s Defense. It’s awesome and has frustrated the Hawks a lot.

• comeonnowguys - May 12, 2014 at 2:30 AM

I don’t think anyone (smart) is arguing otherwise.

Minnesota is not the only team that gums up the middle to take Chicago out of its game. We know what that looks like, when it is done well like now, or when it is done poorly.

Taking that into account, there is still something off.

Nothing is happening in a vaccuum. Saying that Minnesota is not responsible for 100% of anything that adversely happening to Chicago is not the same as saying Minnesota is responsible for none of it.

I swear there are more perceived slights than actual ones happening here.

• constantrevolution1 - May 12, 2014 at 12:24 PM

I agree. The Hawks seem to only skate in spurts. They’re consistently losing board battles and races to pucks. I think it’s a combination of fatigue, injuries, and that the Wild are a good team and they’re hungrier than the Hawks are right now. I’ll be surprised if the Wild lose Game 6, but I’d be more surprised if the Hawks lose Game 7. Their history is that they find it and turn it on when they need it most.

On the plus side, at least Q finally took Rozsival out of the lineup. The dude is a turnover machine who skates like he’s lugging a piano on his back.

16. 1harrypairatesties - May 12, 2014 at 12:30 AM

Blackhawks will wrap it up in 6.

• clarke16 - May 12, 2014 at 5:11 PM

No Harry–it’ll be later this week when you’re shavin’ the testies, lil’ sprout… ;)

17. guitarisgood4u - May 12, 2014 at 12:32 AM

Wild took the night off :p

• r8rbhawk - May 12, 2014 at 12:34 AM

well played guitar, well played…

• guitarisgood4u - May 12, 2014 at 12:41 AM

Thanks bruh, I worked hard on formulating that comment.

• comeonnowguys - May 12, 2014 at 12:45 AM

I am missing the smug and arrogant posts telling Hawk fans how smug and arrogant they are.

Nevermind. I just remembered how much I hate cognitive dissonance.

• strictlythedanks - May 12, 2014 at 1:24 AM

As a matter of fact you did have some smug and arrogant posts earlier this series……..good game by the hawks today, this ones going to 7.

• comeonnowguys - May 12, 2014 at 1:32 AM

No more than any on the other side. That’s my point. That’s always been my point.

18. rgledz - May 12, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Fun game to watch, I enjoyed it quite a bit. I respect Suter, but I agree that he’s getting a bit exposed on the cheap stuff behind the play. I also have respect for Bryz…..another strong game, he’s calm and it’s clear he’s battle tested. The Wild should hold onto him if they can. Craw looked good, made big saves….hopefully Shaw is back for game 6. That is all……..Go Hawks!!

• clarke16 - May 12, 2014 at 2:02 PM

Suter is someone who really needs a much deserved rest. He’s been starting to run close to one major breakdown/night since early in the Avs series. His mishandling of the puck is what gave Sharp the breakaway again the other night. I’m starting to cringe when I see him on the puck at the blue line in the O zone…

• comeonnowguys - May 12, 2014 at 2:18 PM

If that’s how you feel, I’ll trade you Suter for Johnny Oduya. Right here and now.

Don’t think. Just say “yes.”

• clarke16 - May 12, 2014 at 2:49 PM

;) I didn’t say he SUCKED…I said he was tired…

19. wildfan247 - May 12, 2014 at 12:46 AM

Hats off to the Hawks, they took advantage of the Wild taking the 2nd and 3rd period off… ; ) Seriously, the Hawks did what they needed to do, Bryz was solid, but the Hawks were better tonight. See ya in St. Paul on Tuesday!

20. blomfeld - May 12, 2014 at 12:55 AM

CONGRATS TO ‘SLYSIPOPS’ AND HIS FRIENDS ! :)

*** special recipe for Le White Chocolate Mousse Pie ***

an absolutely ‘divine & fabulous’ post-game favorite for Slysipops and his fellow supporters of the Chicago Blackhawks after a hard fought victory !

GO SLYSIPOPS !!! … GO CHICAGO BLACKHAWKS !!!!!!

White Chocolate Mousse:
    8 oz (250 g) white chocolate
    8 oz (250 g) butter, coarsely chopped
    3 egg yolks
    2 egg whites
    1/2 cup (125 mL) sugar
    Semisweet chocolate, grated

• r8rbhawk - May 12, 2014 at 1:06 AM

Are you glad ‘tinsel toews’ scored the game winner?

• guitarhunterdude - May 12, 2014 at 1:42 AM

That actually looks delicious. Thanks, Blom!

• slysipops - May 12, 2014 at 9:45 AM

thank you BLOMS ! sounds delicious !

21. jaythehelmetguy - May 12, 2014 at 12:59 AM

My Analysis of the Game: Our defense killed us. Chicago likes to play a really tight defense with roving skaters sending one man over to the puck carrier and another into a zone near the puck, and they always play close to the puck. The Wild on the other hand play a very spread out defense in their own zone so as a result there’s always a ton of open space down the middle and in the slot. Now that style usually works when we’re using our trap style D, but when you’re playing a team like Chicago with skaters that can circumvent the trap with ease, that defense creates chances, and like we saw tonight, the Hawks had a ton of 3-on-2 and 2-on-2 chances, but we had trouble hanging onto the puck in our own zone. We need to play how we played in the last two minutes, and not give up that puck and force Chicago to ice it out of the zone. I think it was out game to win but we had a lot bad chances and non-chances from bad angles.

• guitarhunterdude - May 12, 2014 at 1:44 AM

“We need to play how we played in the last two minutes”

So pull the goalie right from the start.

Somewhere, Patrick Roy just got inexplicably excited.

• comeonnowguys - May 12, 2014 at 2:16 AM

“Something awesome just happened.”

The mental image of him on the golf course and suddenly looking up in confused excitement made my night. Thank you.

• hawksfan30 - May 12, 2014 at 1:53 AM

When the Hawks gained the zone, I saw 5 Wild players within 15 feet of their own goal all game long. I can’t think of anything less spread out than that. The Wild jam things up so much, it’s incredibly frustrating for Hawks fans to watch. The Hawks created some 3-on-2’s by good passes through the neutral zone, but things got incredibly crowded when they tried to set up in the Wild zone.

• slysipops - May 12, 2014 at 9:51 AM

HAWK fan here ….i agree with you , the BLACKHAWKS finally had a better game holding the puck in the O zone.

22. moogro - May 12, 2014 at 3:07 AM

“Eking out a win” is poor grammar. Eking out means to augment or supplement a supply or a living. Better to say squeaking out or barely winning or just say something else. I know it’s so misused that people don’t care anymore, but don’t wimp out and use it in this context.

Go wild.

• slysipops - May 12, 2014 at 9:56 AM

ENGLISH GRAMMER 101 ?? you knew what he meant. if the comments don’t meet up to your intellect level…..find some college boards somewhere

• clarke16 - May 12, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Ohhhhhh–now, now–Slitpops… Let’s not start getting funky like that. You know–there are actually some people out there who don’t seem to have an adversarial relationship with those things you obviously hate–like punctuation, for example. Don’t be a hater now, son… :)

• slysipops - May 12, 2014 at 6:47 PM

oh clarke16 ! i know , it really doesn’t piss me off personally , but i hate when certain people have to knock someones comment for grammer reasons .it is a sport’s site ,not a college entrance exam !

• constantrevolution1 - May 12, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Right. And “Wild” is a proper noun in the context that you used it and should have been capitalized, Webster.

23. slysipops - May 12, 2014 at 9:47 AM

sweet and simple………………………

24. slysipops - May 12, 2014 at 10:09 AM

one of the greatest hockey announcers of all time . he would fire you up even when you couldn’t be watching the game …………………..

25. boatinb - May 12, 2014 at 4:30 PM

I’m a wild fan but admire the Hawks. I like their style of play, they have passionate fans and one of my favorite NHL jerseys. What I simply can’t stand is their goal celebration song. It is the same song as the MN Swarm indoor lacrosse team and I went to 1 game that had 14 goals. I hope I never hear that song again as long as Iive. Absolutely atrocious and if you witnessed the fans reaction to a swarm goal, it is embarrassing. You can do better Hawks! Go Wild and let’s see another game 7.

• slysipops - May 12, 2014 at 6:53 PM

it is aggrivating…but i like it because of it being in responce for a HAWKS goal ! the singing after a RANGERS goal gets to me …mostly because they are copying the HABS crowd !

Top 10 NHL Player Searches