May 10, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
Adam Oates’ career as a head coach hasn’t gotten off to an ideal start, but he hopes being fired after two seasons with the Washington Capitals won’t also serve as the end of his time as a bench boss.
When asked on the Fan 590 if he wants to return as a head coach next season, Oates didn’t hesitate.
“Yes I would,” Oates said. “I really really enjoyed it since I got into coaching in Tampa … working with the Caps was fantastic.”
He helped Alex Ovechkin revitalize his game, resulting in the superstar forward winning the Rocket Richard Trophy in back-to-back campaigns. Ovechkin’s resurgence also played a big role in the Capitals making the playoffs in Oates’ first campaign as a head coach.
His sophomore season in 2013-14 didn’t go nearly as well as the Capitals missed the playoffs for the first time since 2007.
“You can have an off year, if anything we had a bit of an off-year this year,” Oates said. “We had a couple guys hurt, things didn’t quite go the way planned.”
He pointed to Randy Carlyle in Toronto as an example of a good coach having a rough campaign and praised Toronto’s decision to extend him in spite of the Maple Leafs’ late season collapse. He also brought up Mike Babcock, who didn’t do particularly well in his sophomore season with Anaheim back in 2003-04.
Oates certainly wouldn’t mind following in Babcock’s footsteps as the former Ducks coach has gone on to do great things in Detroit and is a 2013-14 Jack Adams finalists.
Mar 2, 2015, 2:15 AM EST
It’s a first round and third round selection heading to Philly.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:50 AM EST
Tampa gets a pair of second-rounders.
Mar 2, 2015, 1:20 AM EST
Elliott and Allen saw action Sunday night.
Mar 2, 2015, 12:30 AM EST
Dallas’ skid reaches six games.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:30 PM EST
Winnipeg moves three points back of Chicago in the Central Division.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EST
Malkin had a third straight three-point game.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EST
He collided with Ales Hemsky.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:15 PM EST
The Washington forward remains in the game.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:30 PM EST
The Sharks get a fourth-round pick.
Mar 1, 2015, 8:00 PM EST
Both teams also swapped draft picks in the deal.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:36 PM EST
Dallas looking to snap a five game skid.
Mar 1, 2015, 7:06 PM EST
He is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent after this season.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:45 PM EST
Both are free agents after this season.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:35 PM EST
It started with a Matt Greene hit on Mark Scheifele.
Mar 1, 2015, 6:15 PM EST
The Pens’ captain was unharmed on the play.
Mar 1, 2015, 5:56 PM EST
He’s 14 back of Marcel Dionne.
Mar 1, 2015, 4:20 PM EST
All the blockbuster details have been updated.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EST
Sunday’s expected starting goalies.
Mar 1, 2015, 3:02 PM EST
Could Philly move him by Monday?
Mar 1, 2015, 2:22 PM EST
The Islanders winger was February’s best first-year player.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)