May 10, 2014, 9:24 PM EDT
John Gibson, with all of three National Hockey League regular season games experience, makes his Stanley Cup playoff debut for the Anaheim Ducks on Saturday.
The Ducks confirmed the 20-year-old Gibson gets the start against the L.A. Kings in Game 4 of that Western Conference second-round series. In three regular season games for Anaheim, Gibson had a 3-0-0 record, with one shutout, .954 save percentage and 1.33 goals-against average.
No pressure though. It’s only the post-season. And the Ducks trail 2-1 in the series.
The opportunity for Gibson comes because of a lower-body injury to Frederik Andersen. In the third period of Game 3, Jonas Hiller was forced to make a relief appearance when Andersen went down with the injury.
Despite the fact the Ducks got the win, even with Hiller placed into a difficult situation, Bruce Boudreau is deciding to go with the future Anaheim starter in a big game against their rivals, the Kings.
Earlier in the series, Boudreau referred to Hiller’s performance in Game 1 as “adequate.” Not necessarily a huge confidence booster for Hiller.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 8
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)