May 10, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens are now facing elimination.
The Canadiens lost to the Boston Bruins in Game 5 of their Eastern Conference second-round series on Saturday, and now trail in the best-of-seven series 3-2. The Habs had a 2-1 lead in the series – and remember Boston’s third-period comeback in Game 2? – and were in position to perhaps inch closer to the biggest upset so far in these playoffs.
“We’ve lost a battle but we haven’t lost the war,” said Canadiens’ head coach Michel Therrien, as per Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette.
The Bruins came alive Saturday, making the Habs pay for a lack of discipline, scoring a pair of power play goals just 32 seconds apart in the second period to open up a three-goal lead and ultimately a win.
“We seemed more in control. … That was a great effort on our part,” said Bruins head coach Claude Julien, as per Chris Johnston of Sportsnet.
Of course, up for discussion afterward was incident toward the end of the game, when it appeared, based on video evidence, that Bruins’ enforcer Shawn Thornton sprayed P.K. Subban with a water bottle while play was still going on.
The Bruins can now earn a berth in the Eastern Conference final with a win Monday in Montreal. Trying to wrap this series up on the road, of course, doesn’t seem like a particularly easy challenge.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)