May 10, 2014, 10:59 PM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens are now facing elimination.
The Canadiens lost to the Boston Bruins in Game 5 of their Eastern Conference second-round series on Saturday, and now trail in the best-of-seven series 3-2. The Habs had a 2-1 lead in the series – and remember Boston’s third-period comeback in Game 2? – and were in position to perhaps inch closer to the biggest upset so far in these playoffs.
“We’ve lost a battle but we haven’t lost the war,” said Canadiens’ head coach Michel Therrien, as per Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette.
The Bruins came alive Saturday, making the Habs pay for a lack of discipline, scoring a pair of power play goals just 32 seconds apart in the second period to open up a three-goal lead and ultimately a win.
“We seemed more in control. … That was a great effort on our part,” said Bruins head coach Claude Julien, as per Chris Johnston of Sportsnet.
Of course, up for discussion afterward was incident toward the end of the game, when it appeared, based on video evidence, that Bruins’ enforcer Shawn Thornton sprayed P.K. Subban with a water bottle while play was still going on.
The Bruins can now earn a berth in the Eastern Conference final with a win Monday in Montreal. Trying to wrap this series up on the road, of course, doesn’t seem like a particularly easy challenge.
Julien: "There's another game to play and it's not going to be easy."—
Joe McDonald (@ESPNJoeyMac) May 11, 2014
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)