May 10, 2014, 10:59 PM EST
The Montreal Canadiens are now facing elimination.
The Canadiens lost to the Boston Bruins in Game 5 of their Eastern Conference second-round series on Saturday, and now trail in the best-of-seven series 3-2. The Habs had a 2-1 lead in the series – and remember Boston’s third-period comeback in Game 2? – and were in position to perhaps inch closer to the biggest upset so far in these playoffs.
“We’ve lost a battle but we haven’t lost the war,” said Canadiens’ head coach Michel Therrien, as per Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette.
The Bruins came alive Saturday, making the Habs pay for a lack of discipline, scoring a pair of power play goals just 32 seconds apart in the second period to open up a three-goal lead and ultimately a win.
“We seemed more in control. … That was a great effort on our part,” said Bruins head coach Claude Julien, as per Chris Johnston of Sportsnet.
Of course, up for discussion afterward was incident toward the end of the game, when it appeared, based on video evidence, that Bruins’ enforcer Shawn Thornton sprayed P.K. Subban with a water bottle while play was still going on.
The Bruins can now earn a berth in the Eastern Conference final with a win Monday in Montreal. Trying to wrap this series up on the road, of course, doesn’t seem like a particularly easy challenge.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)