May 10, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Sven Baertschi was looking forward to playing for Switzerland in his first World Championship. His service is over though as he suffered a fractured rib in Switzerland’s opening game against Russia, per the IIHF.
It will take Baertschi several weeks to recover, but at least he should still be fine for the start of the 2014-15 campaign. That season could prove to be a big season for him. He had two goals and 11 points in 26 games with the Flames in 2013-14, but the 21-year-old forward is in a position to spend the entire campaign with Calgary.
The season didn’t go smoothly for Baertschi, nor did it start well as one of Brian Burke’s first acts as Flames president back in September was to blast Baertschi. At the same time, Baertschi is still one of the Flames’ top prospects after he was taken with the 13th overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)