May 10, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Sven Baertschi was looking forward to playing for Switzerland in his first World Championship. His service is over though as he suffered a fractured rib in Switzerland’s opening game against Russia, per the IIHF.
It will take Baertschi several weeks to recover, but at least he should still be fine for the start of the 2014-15 campaign. That season could prove to be a big season for him. He had two goals and 11 points in 26 games with the Flames in 2013-14, but the 21-year-old forward is in a position to spend the entire campaign with Calgary.
The season didn’t go smoothly for Baertschi, nor did it start well as one of Brian Burke’s first acts as Flames president back in September was to blast Baertschi. At the same time, Baertschi is still one of the Flames’ top prospects after he was taken with the 13th overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 10
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 65
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (82)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)