May 10, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Sven Baertschi was looking forward to playing for Switzerland in his first World Championship. His service is over though as he suffered a fractured rib in Switzerland’s opening game against Russia, per the IIHF.
It will take Baertschi several weeks to recover, but at least he should still be fine for the start of the 2014-15 campaign. That season could prove to be a big season for him. He had two goals and 11 points in 26 games with the Flames in 2013-14, but the 21-year-old forward is in a position to spend the entire campaign with Calgary.
The season didn’t go smoothly for Baertschi, nor did it start well as one of Brian Burke’s first acts as Flames president back in September was to blast Baertschi. At the same time, Baertschi is still one of the Flames’ top prospects after he was taken with the 13th overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)