May 10, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Sven Baertschi was looking forward to playing for Switzerland in his first World Championship. His service is over though as he suffered a fractured rib in Switzerland’s opening game against Russia, per the IIHF.
It will take Baertschi several weeks to recover, but at least he should still be fine for the start of the 2014-15 campaign. That season could prove to be a big season for him. He had two goals and 11 points in 26 games with the Flames in 2013-14, but the 21-year-old forward is in a position to spend the entire campaign with Calgary.
The season didn’t go smoothly for Baertschi, nor did it start well as one of Brian Burke’s first acts as Flames president back in September was to blast Baertschi. At the same time, Baertschi is still one of the Flames’ top prospects after he was taken with the 13th overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)