May 10, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
Sven Baertschi was looking forward to playing for Switzerland in his first World Championship. His service is over though as he suffered a fractured rib in Switzerland’s opening game against Russia, per the IIHF.
It will take Baertschi several weeks to recover, but at least he should still be fine for the start of the 2014-15 campaign. That season could prove to be a big season for him. He had two goals and 11 points in 26 games with the Flames in 2013-14, but the 21-year-old forward is in a position to spend the entire campaign with Calgary.
The season didn’t go smoothly for Baertschi, nor did it start well as one of Brian Burke’s first acts as Flames president back in September was to blast Baertschi. At the same time, Baertschi is still one of the Flames’ top prospects after he was taken with the 13th overall pick in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)