May 10, 2014, 12:52 PM EDT
Matt Cooke is perhaps best known for his controversial hits, like the knee-on-knee hit on Colorado’s Tyson Barrie that resulted in him getting a seven-game suspension. He’s a man that used to get suspended more frequently and has repeatedly said that he has changed his game.
There’s more to him than that though.
In his return on Friday, Cooke stayed out of the sin bin while leading his team in hits (five) and blocked shots (three). He also played a big role in Justin Fontaine‘s opening goal for the Wild:
“(Cooke) he’s a playoff performer,” Wild coach Mike Yeo said, per the Star Tribune. “He’s brought in here obviously to do a lot of things and help you get to the playoffs. But the experience he has, the way that first goal was created, that’s what we’re looking for.
“We want him to finish checks, we want him to play an honest, hard game, and he’s got the ability to make plays, the ability to be a hard guy to play against defensively, but also to help you create some stuff offensively too.”
In other words, Cooke can contribute in a lot of different ways. As long as he stays out of trouble.
Oct 30, 2014, 8:01 AM EDT
The numbers are even more striking when you compare Oct. 2014 to Oct. 2003
Oct 30, 2014, 12:56 AM EDT
Nashville continues its strong start to 2014-15.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:50 PM EDT
He sat out the third period for Grand Rapids because of soreness.
Oct 29, 2014, 11:21 PM EDT
Interesting discussion between Bob McKenzie and Mike Milbury.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT
Some controversial calls on a light Wednesday night.
Oct 29, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
Detroit’s big guns came through.
Oct 29, 2014, 9:39 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2014, 8:53 PM EDT
Gustav Nyquist got that 1-0 lead back.
Oct 29, 2014, 8:06 PM EDT
Oct 29, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
“No news is bad news” for the veteran forward.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Also: a fun story from Mike Milbury’s playing days.
Oct 29, 2014, 7:04 PM EDT
It appears that the health of “Mr. Hockey” has been improving.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
He hopes to end his scoring slump against Detroit tonight.
Oct 29, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Can Alex Ovechkin break his cold streak?
Oct 29, 2014, 6:19 PM EDT
Markus Granlund gets called up amid many injuries.
Oct 29, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
“Right now, the playing situation is out of my control.”
Oct 29, 2014, 5:21 PM EDT
Punished for making the head the primary point of contact.
Oct 29, 2014, 5:05 PM EDT
Colorado has just two wins in its first 10 outings.
Oct 29, 2014, 4:21 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Oct 29, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
Less (ice time) may mean more (points) for Mike Green.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 3
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 35
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)