May 10, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
The Boston Bruins are one win away from reaching the Eastern Conference final.
The Bruins were the dominant team in a pivotal Game 5 against the visiting Montreal Canadiens on Saturday, coming away with a 4-2 victory to take a 3-2 series lead. This series now shifts back to Montreal, with the Habs needing a win to force a seventh and deciding game against their long-time bitter rivals.
The animosity built early – with agitators Brad Marchand and Brendan Gallagher jawing off the opening faceoff – and continued throughout. But the Canadiens ran into discipline issues and the Bruins were all too happy to make them pay.
Boston scored a pair of power play goals just 32 seconds apart early in the second period – Reilly Smith and Jarome Iginla tallied – to open up a three-goal lead. On both goals, Canadiens forward Tomas Plekanec was in the box. He took three minor penalties through the first 22 minutes of the game, including one for knocking Tuukka Rask right over inside the Boston crease.
The Canadiens got one back to make it interesting late in the second period. Gallagher, who had been run into the end boards and was slow to get up, eventually did so, went to the net and had the puck deflect off him.
P.K. Subban also scored for Montreal, cutting Boston’s lead back down to two goals late in the third period. But it was far too late by that point.
Game 6 of this series goes Monday – back in Montreal.
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 3
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 0
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 16
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10